• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

Looks like this December is going to be roughly par for the course (as expected) for a December in the 2010s. Hard to believe 2C above average in December is the "new normal" in the last decade or so.

This map below takes us thru Dec 17th.

ANOM2m_fcstMTH_ntham (2).png

Our positive (+) Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) event has waned significantly, and thus I expect the Indian Ocean standing wave to progressively lose its strangehold on the global tropics going forward. This means we should starting encountering patterns in January & February that are more receptive to cold/snow & -NAOs as the secondary area of anomalous uplift in the West Pacific becomes relatively more influential.
ELZ1vBVWsAAYg8s.png

Looks like this December is going to be roughly par for the course (as expected) for a December in the 2010s. Hard to believe 2C above average in December is the "new normal" in the last decade or so.

This map below takes us thru Dec 17th.

View attachment 27663
Webb, you think the properly placed cyclonic wave could bring us a -NAO in time for Christmas? I've notice gfs/gefs has been showing a nice cold blast that week.

Webb, you think the properly placed cyclone wave could bring us a -NAO in time for Christmas? I've notice gfs/gefs has been showing a nice cold blast that week.

Yes, I think there will be at least a brief period of -NAO next week following this cyclonic wave breaker over Atlantic Canada, its persistence is highly dependent on continued synoptic-scale wave breaking in the North Atlantic storm track that isn't predictable more than a week or so in advance. In a general sense, As stated in an earlier comment, I certainly think we're moving in a direction that's going to be more favorable to -NAO later in the winter (Jan-Feb) as we lose the +IOD.

Yes, I think there will be at least a brief period of -NAO next week following this cyclonic wave breaker over Atlantic Canada, its persistence is highly dependent on continued synoptic-scale wave breaking in the North Atlantic storm track that isn't predictable more than a week or so in advance. In a general sense, As stated in an earlier comment, I certainly think we're moving in a direction that's going to be more favorable to -NAO later in the winter (Jan-Feb) as we lose the +IOD.
So +IOD is Indian Ocean Dipole? Also known as Indian Nino

Not our storm but a pretty good sized event showing up on the EURO north of us the past few runs. Couldn't hurt for helping get some cold further south.
us_model-en-087-0_modez_2019121000_180_493_155.png

Not our storm but a pretty good sized event showing up on the EURO north of us the past few runs. Couldn't hurt for helping get some cold further south.
View attachment 27668

things have been improving on the euro, 50/50 low has been trending south and far stronger, big cold vortex has trended south in north Canada, western ridge is getting taller, get more confluence with a slightly stronger high and we’re in business, also like how that energy has dug more and more 2E0E52EC-A163-43B5-BC8B-4F24C75865C3.gif

View attachment 27668
The EPS actually had a huge increase with this system. Nice look for CAD areas. Though I think member 45 skewed the mean a bit.
1576800000-2927I1BM9sw.png
1576800000-3eFpZFAVkz4.png
1575936000-01VxaynBYto.png
1576800000-2O60r3PFScw.png
1576800000-ajck3ETrlZA.png

things have been improving on the euro, 50/50 low has been trending south and far stronger, big cold vortex has trended south in north Canada, western ridge is getting taller, get more confluence with a slightly stronger high and we’re in business, also like how that energy has dug more and more View attachment 27669

That trough over Atlantic Canada is in the ideal spot if u want a CAD event here and is a good way to lock in the CAD high. The problem this time is the cold push & corresponding parent surface high appear to be weaker than what we're seeing this week and I'm not sure if the s/w over the midwest will dig far enough south. The operational Euro looked better than its ensemble suite.

ecmwf_z500a_namer_8 (2).png

One good news is PNA ridge keeps fighting. Hoping as we get into January it’s an easier fight.

View attachment 27677

And a nice 50/50 low in a nice spot, with ridging at the pole. Hint of -NAO showing up. Just need the trend to continue and I think that's workable. Especially come January if that hangs tight.

Back