• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Summer Sizzlin Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone planted jasmine in their yards as ground cover? If so, how do you like it? Do you have it under control?
What kind of jasmine? Sun or shade?

I get them mixed up. It is either Confederate or Asiatic. It has nice smelling white flowers in late spring. It starts out as innocent groundcover but it then spreads and grows aggressively onto adjacent wood fencing. It is so thick on the fence that it is as if it extends the height of the fence! It was quite attractive on both the ground and the fence but it wasn’t good for the health of the fence. Due to extensive fence repairs that were needed, it had to be completely cut off the fence just to allow for the repairs (it was extensively tangled around the pickets and was very heavy) and the adjacent ground cover was cut completely because we didn’t want it to get back on the fence. Weed killer was even out down along the fence. It was not an easy decision. So, it all may be dead although I suppose remaining roots may result in regrowth. In the meantime, now we have ugly bare ground within a few feet of the fence. The area gets some sun in afternoon but is largely shaded a good number of hours.

Last edited:

Princess

220px-Princess_Jasmine_disney.png

I get them mixed up. It is either Confederate or Asiatic. It has nice smelling white flowers in late spring. It starts out as innocent groundcover but it then spreads and grows aggressively onto adjacent wood fencing. It is so thick on the fence that it is as if it extends the height of the fence! It was quite attractive on both the ground and the fence but it wasn’t good for the health of the fence. Due to extensive fence repairs that were needed, it had to be completely cut off the fence just to allow for the repairs (it was extensively tangled around the pickets and was very heavy) and the adjacent ground cover was cut completely because we didn’t want it to get back on the fence. It was not an easy decision. So, it all may be dead although I suppose remaining roots may result in regrowth.
Never grown it,I’m guessing winter keeps it in check up here? I like Ajuga, for a great ground cover! It won’t climb, does well in sun or shade, I think a little better in moister areas, but tough and spreading and easy to divide.227931D0-6006-404D-BEA5-A7AD0F5E9BFB.png

Never grown it,I’m guessing winter keeps it in check up here? I like Ajuga, for a great ground cover! It won’t climb, does well in sun or shade, I think a little better in moister areas, but tough and spreading and easy to divide.View attachment 20103

Thanks, Mack, for the info and recommendations. Yeah, that pic of Star Jasmine looks similar.

Welcome back, Tony! Been missing you! How are the spiders? Running around bare-bottomed at night? Sure it's hot ... but so was Watkins Glen ... :eek: ... Best! Phil
Getting over pneumonia I'm afraid, Phil. No fun whatsoever. I can't recommend it. It was the being unable to sleep that's the worst, and the resulting hallucinations. Like right now, I'm seeing rain on the radar, and only a county, or two away, and I know that's a flash back. Can't be real. No spiders, no rain..it can't be real..it can't...the men in white coats...they're coming...they're coming for me...because I see rain....I SEE RAIN!!!! Ahhhhgggggg..

I don't mind bugs all that much. Not crazy about bees, and I try to stay away from where they are. But the one-off bee just buzzing around me doesn't bother me. He just curious.

The worst is mowing over a yellow jacket nest though. You don't know it initially, but it doesn't take long to learn that you have just got yourself into a spot of trouble.

I will say that watching someone running wildly away from a bees nest is one of the funniest things to observe (I've been that guy several times)....kind of along the same lines as watching someone's umbrella blow inside out. I don't know why that's funny, but it sure is.
A buddy of mine and I were replacing some steps on a deck, and when one step come up with crowbars and hammers, yellow jackets exploded out, and since Sam was closest there were on him like the plague, he was banging his arms and legs with the crowbar and hollering while I backed off, and yes, it was funny, but only for a few years, until I was cutting down a pine along my drive and suddenly fire erupped on my legs, below my shorts, then under my shorts...and I was sure I'd messed up with the chainsaw. I looked down expecting to see blood and carnage, but my skin was yellow and black and moving. Left the saw running in the tree, since I was standing on a yellow jacket nest, and took off running. They chased me all the way into the house...and I wasn't laughing then, even when I puffed up like a balloon boy. Somehow your own misfortune isn't near as funny, lol.

A buddy of mine and I were replacing some steps on a deck, and when one step come up with crowbars and hammers, yellow jackets exploded out, and since Sam was closest there were on him like the plague, he was banging his arms and legs with the crowbar and hollering while I backed off, and yes, it was funny, but only for a few years, until I was cutting down a pine along my drive and suddenly fire erupped on my legs, below my shorts, then under my shorts...and I was sure I'd messed up with the chainsaw. I looked down expecting to see blood and carnage, but my skin was yellow and black and moving. Left the saw running in the tree, since I was standing on a yellow jacket nest, and took off running. They chased me all the way into the house...and I wasn't laughing then, even when I puffed up like a balloon boy. Somehow your own misfortune isn't near as funny, lol.
Man that sounds terrible! I certainly wouldn't laugh at that! I have never gotten into it that badly. I got 8 stings one time and that's as bad as I've got it.

Looks like mostly a swing and a miss is incoming on the potential rain today. Gahhh

Unless you take the HRRR as gospel. Please let it be right for me, please...

Looking at the radar my yard may find a way to screw this up today

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back