• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Stock Market

Made a real nice profit on IDEX in the past 9 days. I bought in at $1.11 and sold most of my shares at 2.10 this morning.

I got in on the dip after the first breakout (1.65). Going to hold this for some time...as of now. But, yeah if I had doubled up I would have been out too.

Stock chart looks healthy. (knock on wood). Tested 2.50ish twice now...going to be tough getting through that.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 5.13.49 PM.png

Honestly, this probably pushed him over the edge but I've heard that Robinhood has horrible glitches like this that happen with options. You can lose your shirt on them if you aren't careful though.

I've thought about doing an option here and there lately with an opinion I've had (one was Twitter after Trump mouthed off about what they were doing and one was Delta earlier this week, I kind of was right on both but I'd have to have been quick with the latter), but I'm still not sure I fully understand it (and my dad would probably question me again haha!) and I suppose I'm not risk tolerant enough to go more than here and there.

I heard yesterday that the loss showing up on his Robinhood account was a glitch and not correct; however, it has not been released what the true loss was.

I have never traded options and have a very limited understanding. I was under the initial impression it was a bit like buying trade insurance. For example; pay up front for a Call option, sunk cost then you have the future option of buying the stock or selling the option and the only risk is losing the up front cost. I know there are ways to get into the weeds with options but don't know how you do it. Obviously, I don't know enough even think about trying to trade them. I have heard it said; trading stocks is like checkers and options is like chess.

I heard yesterday that the loss showing up on his Robinhood account was a glitch and not correct; however, it has not been released what the true loss was.

I have never traded options and have a very limited understanding. I was under the initial impression it was a bit like buying trade insurance. For example; pay up front for a Call option, sunk cost then you have the future option of buying the stock or selling the option and the only risk is losing the up front cost. I know there are ways to get into the weeds with options but don't know how you do it. Obviously, I don't know enough even think about trying to trade them. I have heard it said; trading stocks is like checkers and options is like chess.

If you sell a put and the stock hits the strike price you sold it at, you could be assigned 100 shares of the stock. If it's an Amazon stock, right now that would mean you'd need the funds for $200,000+.

From the way it sounds, that may just be one way. The sell the put strat is recommended if you wouldn't mind owning the stock anyway.

It does take more knowledge but you can trade options with minimal cash and thus less risk, and bigger gains, without actually tying up money. But to be honest I’ve made similar gains buying and selling stocks the normal way, so there’s a reason why options don’t make everyone a millionaire...most people play it safe with options anyway. The stock market is hard no matter how you cut it.

As for the kid, that’s terrible. He likely just didn’t know what he was doing, and the display of his negative spending power freaked him out...but it wasn’t a true loss. This is the best explanation I found:

“You don't need margin, you only need enough cash to cover the maximum loss, which is can be very small. e.g. right now if I wanted 3 put spreads on AMZN at 2640/2635 expiring this Friday, it would give me a net credit of about $2 per contract, or $600 credited to my account. My maximum loss would be 3 * 100 * (2640-2635) = $1500 minus the credit ($600) received, or $900. As long as I had a mere $900 in my account, this trade would be allowed.
If I held through expiration and the short leg (AMZN $2640) was assigned, I would be contractually obligated to buy 300 shares of Amazon at $2640 a piece. This would briefly reduce my buying power by -$792,000. But as I also hold a contract to sell 300 shares of Amazon at $2635 ($790,500), it would have a net cost of only $1,500. And since I already received $600 up front, it would be just $900 additional out of pocket. But for a period of time, my account balance would have displayed -$792k.”

To think he lost his life over $900 with $16k in his account makes me sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did some research Thursday and Friday and decided to jump in rather large for my standards on IDEX. Got in at 2.20. It’s worth a look you guys. May be to late by Monday for a quick turn but it’s a decent long hold as well I think. Selling EV’s to China and getting rather large orders there and elsewhere with a great business model I think and it’s tentacles in other forward thinking businesses and operations.

So did some research Thursday and Friday and decided to jump in rather large for my standards on IDEX. Got in at 2.20. It’s worth a look you guys. May be to late by Monday for a quick turn but it’s a decent long hold as well I think. Selling EV’s to China and getting rather large orders there and elsewhere with a great business model I think and it’s tentacles in other forward thinking businesses and operations.

It's already up to about 2.90 this morning premarket.

And now up to 3.25.

Last edited:
Alright have positions in FMCI and OPES from a couple of weeks ago but OPES sold off so much today that I purchased 500 warrants at $3.50. End of June is when the expected definitive agreement will be signed...hopefully. ?

GNUS...this is just sad that I bought this at one time. Geez I suck.

Probably a buy when it' gets to $2...but I ain't touching it.

download.png

TTI got beat down bad on Friday but has wiggled back very nicely today back to my avg share price

WTI crude just set a new post pandemic high this afternoon. Jimmy feeling good. Jimmy feeling very very good

I am watching CLHI closely btw. It has huge potential if the merger goes through and is dirt cheap right now. Might buy in Thursday or Friday if it hits my price point.

So what happened with this one so far? I still haven't seen movement really. I thought that merger was about done.

Congrats, near 357 million shares of IDEX traded today; unbelievable.

PS all time highs for Apple and Microsoft today.
My last sale of shares today I got a chunk out at 3.90. I think the last bit I may ride for a while and see if it will eventually get above $4.

So what happened with this one so far? I still haven't seen movement really. I thought that merger was about done.

Still waiting on filings for it, they are very tight lipped and not giving out much info other than that they are working through things but COVID has slowed the progress down some. Still on my watch list and I expect it’ll spike if/when filings hit.

Back