• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sports Thread

I get these weird thoughts about stats and I end up going down rabbit holes on the net. I saw where Derek Carr is the career leader in passing for the Raiders. I decided to take a look at stats. Derek Carr is the leader of all statistical categories for Raider QB’s with the exception of INT’s. He has only 69 compared to the franchise leader, The Snake, Kenny Stabler who has 143. While down this damn rabbit hole I started looking at other stats for the team. Fred Williamson, the actor, is in the top ten for defensive INT’s. The reason I bring this up is because I looked at his bio, and for a DB in the late 1950’s and 1960’s, this guy was HUGE. 6’3” and 225 lbs of cover corner. Think about the average size cover corner in the NFL today. The avg size of an NFL DB is 5’11” and 193 lbs. The avg NFL safety is 6’ 200 lbs. This guy was a monster during the era where the avg size of a QB was 6’2” 200 lbs.

Just think about how the average size for QB’s and DB’s are today. QB’s usually have a couple of inches and about 30 pounds on DB’s today. Back then he was the size of a LB playing DB! He dwarfed QB’s and WR’s along with TE’s.

If you were going to make a prototype for a SS in the NFL today, you could take Fred Williamson from 1959 when he graduated from Northwestern and say, “This is what we want.”

Just thought it was interesting since the evolution of players has created bigger, stronger, and faster players on both sides of the ball, but this guy completely skews the curve. He’d be more at home in today’s NFL then the 1960’s. Of course he wouldn’t be an anomaly, he’d be the standard.

Just talked to an insider. Aunurn had MC of Oregon wrapped up, and , then messed it up. I. Am.so pissed. I am thinking about a new team.

OSU would get railroaded by about 8 other teams right now. If they get in assuming they pull this off against NW they're gonna get trounced in the playoffs!

For what it's worth; I would rather my team go 7-9, than to have a solid 12-4 team, look like contenders all year, only for the QB to suffer season ending injury just before the playoffs (like Oakland about 4 years ago when Carr went down), and shattering the entire season.

Ohio State gets in with 6 games? What a joke....But who else do you put in?
Expand the field to 8 or 16, take your p5 conference champs, any undefeated non P5 champs, any regular season champs that lost in their champ game and fill out with at larges. Use the coaches poll for seeding, not this dumb selection committee. Play the first round game at the higher seeded teams stadium then use the remaining games to fill out bowls.

Expand the field to 8 or 16, take your p5 conference champs, any undefeated non P5 champs, any regular season champs that lost in their champ game and fill out with at larges. Use the coaches poll for seeding, not this dumb selection committee. Play the first round game at the higher seeded teams stadium then use the remaining games to fill out bowls.
8....sure and likely to happen. 16 is just too many in my opinion

Back