• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sizzling Shenanigans: warm season whamby

It’s probably a weep hole in the brick doing what it’s designed to do. However that does mean you have a problem up above. Water is getting in up high and running between the brick and whatever membrane you have behind it.
Looks like I have some exploratory digging to do in this area. There's no plumbing on this side of the house, the gutter drain does not leak (been out there with rain falling to inspect)

Went ahead and pulled out my anti-deer gate to some blueberries a little further to the right. Afraid I might be digging all of that up before all is said and done

453039246_10160553847894067_500252297953858321_n.jpg

A.C. Update: Great news! Another HVAC tech from the same company came out to tell me it’s NOT the compressor. Rather, it’s a GA Power issue. He said I’m set up on “3 Phase Power”. Main leg coming into house is not getting full power due to an unknown reason. One of 3 wires is getting only 80 volts. The crew is supposed to fix it this evening. Assuming this is going to fix the issue, I’m only going to be out $135 for the service call. Whew!

Which gets me thinking: shouldn’t power co. reimburse me for $135?

By the way, someone else from GA Power had already tried to fix it. It didn’t work and now power is out. So, not only 86 humid degrees but also no fan, which was making it tolerable, for a few hours. I’m ready for autumn! My UPS battery backup not working.

A.C. Update: Great news! Another HVAC tech from the same company came out to tell me it’s NOT the compressor. Rather, it’s a GA Power issue. He said I’m set up on “3 Phase Power”. Main leg coming into house is not getting full power due to an unknown reason. One of 3 wires is getting only 80 volts. The crew is supposed to fix it this evening. Assuming this is going to fix the issue, I’m only going to be out $135 for the service call. Whew!

Which gets me thinking: shouldn’t power co. reimburse me for $135?

By the way, someone else from GA Power had already tried to fix it. It didn’t work and now power is out. So, not only 86 humid degrees but also no fan, which was making it tolerable, for a few hours. I’m ready for autumn!

Dang, I’d also be concerned about the extra wear and tear low voltage would have put on other parts of the HVAC system and other 220v appliances in your house.

Dang, I’d also be concerned about the extra wear and tear low voltage would have put on other parts of the HVAC system and other 220v appliances in your house.

Would that be the case from just a couple of days of low voltage? Plus I had the A.C. off much of the time.

I asked the AC guy (I realize he’s not an electrician) if my refrigerator and other things in the house would have been hurt by this. He said no because the power to them, including the air handler, would be normal. It is only because the condenser is connected to the main leg that it is affected.

But taking what you said, are you thinking that just 2 days of this turning on and off would have resulted in significant added west and tear on the compressor/condenser? If so, would GA Power owe me something for that?

Curiouser and curiouser. No plumbing on this side of the house. This black pipe is a new discovery, it looks 1 1/2 or 2". The copper is a known entity and presently turned off (and was all day yesterday through the storm last night)

diggydiggydiggy.jpg

blackpipe.jpg

It only gets cooler from here on out. We've already reached the peak of the hot season.
There’s a lag in longest days and hottest temps! Kind of like winter, when shortest days are in Decline and you’re coldest month is April

Curiouser and curiouser. No plumbing on this side of the house. This black pipe is a new discovery, it looks 1 1/2 or 2". The copper is a known entity and presently turned off (and was all day yesterday through the storm last night)

View attachment 148810

View attachment 148809
Your situation makes no sense to me. How would water rise in to the wall and escape through a weep hole from this area 2 feet below grade? The black pipe looks like ABS. Why is there a break in it? Is it just buried trash? Maybe it's metal top rail to a fence just buried so the previous owner didn't have to throw it away? I'd still look higher in the structure for the source. Maybe leaking under the shingles and running down the vapor seal and through the top of the wall cavity? You wouldn't necessarily see signs of a leak under the roof sheathing.

I’ve enjoyed this pattern of sunny skies followed by cumulonimbus clouds and thunderstorms. Reminds me of my time in Florida.

I smell a big bust in this most hyped tropical season since the beginning of time! Just like winter hype never comes to fruition, now we’ve taken the 💩 show to preseason tropical hype! Subscriptions all year long now! Giddy up! 🙄🙄🙄🙄

I smell a big bust in this most hyped tropical season since the beginning of time! Just like winter hype never comes to fruition, now we’ve taken the 💩 show to preseason tropical hype! Subscriptions all year long now! Giddy up! 🙄🙄🙄🙄
Always!

I mean I hope it does because we gotta enough problems but it's too early still... I remember 2017 being dead in mid August And then Harvey and Irma happened back to back 😂

2005 was also famously dead in August before Katrina

Your situation makes no sense to me. How would water rise in to the wall and escape through a weep hole from this area 2 feet below grade? The black pipe looks like ABS. Why is there a break in it? Is it just buried trash? Maybe it's metal top rail to a fence just buried so the previous owner didn't have to throw it away? I'd still look higher in the structure for the source. Maybe leaking under the shingles and running down the vapor seal and through the top of the wall cavity? You wouldn't necessarily see signs of a leak under the roof sheathing.
The more I uncover the more confused I am about what is happening. No idea what the black ABS pipe is. I also found buried 50's era romex (cold, I rewired house so the circuit was not included in panel connections)

I had to temporarily put some plywood and tarpage over the hole and side of house to direct water away from the foundation for the time being. I plan to excavate and install proper drainage at the footer, then waterproof the wall. That can't happen rn, hopefully a winter/spring project.

Back