• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sizzling Shenanigans: warm season whamby

Over just the last 3 weeks in my house, I’ve experienced these firsts: 88 humid degrees from a couple day long AC outage, a garage flood from very heavy Debby rains, and now a yellow jacket of all things. I hardly ever see yellow jackets outside much less getting inside. I’ve seen the bigger black wasps inside many times, but never a YJ.

I tried killing it by stepping on it with a shoe several times but that never even phased it. So, then I got it to crawl on a broom and just took it outside, where it flew away like it wasn’t even hurt. Those are tough little bugs!

What’s next for inside, locusts?

Over just the last 3 weeks in my house, I’ve experienced these firsts: 88 humid degrees from a couple day long AC outage, a garage flood from very heavy Debby rains, and now a yellow jacket of all things. I hardly ever see yellow jackets outside much less getting inside. I’ve seen the bigger black wasps inside many times, but never a YJ.

I tried killing it by stepping on it with a shoe several times but that never even phased it. So, then I got it to crawl on a broom and just took it outside, where it flew away like it wasn’t even hurt. Those are tough little bugs!

What’s next for inside, locusts?
I honestly have not seen many yellow jackets this year and I've never seen one inside. I did get stung by one in 2009 and it was extremely painful. I was cutting grass and they came up from underneath the ground and attacked me.

Yeah, I really don’t have any faith in long range models. And I don’t put any stock really in Nina versus Nino anymore. Anecdotally, I observe we’re generally wet all year imby, winter being warm, summer hot but not extremely so because it’s so wet.

My guess is that pattern continues until whatever pacific oceanic, atmospheric pattern has caused it changes. Pattern forecasting.

Last year going into March, we had every variable on our side for a cold March. Nope. Warm. I just have no faith in anything changing, but I hope it does.

Yeah after last year I don't want to hear about a snowy pattern anymore tbh I mean even here with way better climo we've barely had an inch or two for 2 years running now

Maybe we'll have better luck expecting warm and dry. It's not like it can be any worse

I honestly have not seen many yellow jackets this year and I've never seen one inside. I did get stung by one in 2009 and it was extremely painful. I was cutting grass and they came up from underneath the ground and attacked me.

I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve heard that happens sometimes when mowing over their nests.
Maybe the YJ I saw today is a sign that GT will have a great year in football? Keeping hope alive!

I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve heard that happens sometimes when mowing over their nests.
Maybe the YJ I saw today is a sign that GT will have a great year in football? Keeping hope alive!
Probably not as great as GT did in 1990 ;)

Probably but we are heading in the right direction.
Tech is definitely headed in the right direction. I actually have season tickets because they are so cheap, and why not. What’s funny is I’m a Georgia fan, but also have a masters from Arkansas.

Speaking of yellow jackets, every year around this time they build a next somewhere in my yard and I get attacked mowing the lawn. They didn’t let me down this year as they chose a discreet spot out front and got me five times before I got them off. They are highly aggressive, and I’ve been attacked almost every year of my life.

Tech is definitely headed in the right direction. I actually have season tickets because they are so cheap, and why not. What’s funny is I’m a Georgia fan, but also have a masters from Arkansas.

Speaking of yellow jackets, every year around this time they build a next somewhere in my yard and I get attacked mowing the lawn. They didn’t let me down this year as they chose a discreet spot out front and got me five times before I got them off. They are highly aggressive, and I’ve been attacked almost every year of my life.
My son is becoming a big fan so season tickets are soon to happen now that kids sports don’t take up every weekend. We had them for a long time back in the 90s and early 00s.

I’ve been lucky on the nests. I guess my tractor is just fast enough that they don’t get me and I see them on the next pass. I started beekeeping so now I can just don the suit and go gas them instead of waiting til dark.

My son is becoming a big fan so season tickets are soon to happen now that kids sports don’t take up every weekend. We had them for a long time back in the 90s and early 00s.

I’ve been lucky on the nests. I guess my tractor is just fast enough that they don’t get me and I see them on the next pass. I started beekeeping so now I can just don the suit and go gas them instead of waiting til dark.
I’ll PM you if I end up not using every ticket.

Man I know. I’ve been waiting on that game for a while because I’m in Atlanta every November. It’s just a little too early.
Too bad man, it should be a good time. Duke usually brings a few thousand faithful.

Back