• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sizzling Shenanigans: warm season whamby

I don't think this is getting the attention it deserves. I think most folks that have an official station in a uhi area realize lows on radiational cooling nights below the official low. I get that these sensors are representative of the uhi microclimate but I don't think the are for a whole region of a state
Yeah, it’s tough though because at the same time, most people live in these UHI areas, to varying extents. So in a way it’s representative, but it makes it very hard to compare against the past.

Yeah, it’s tough though because at the same time, most people live in these UHI areas, to varying extents. So in a way it’s representative, but it makes it very hard to compare against the past.
That's probably a good reason to use the significant rise in ocean temps as a prime metric to objectively measure how much the globe has warmed. That obviously takes away any skew from UHI. Also, using satellite images for determining land based warming allows for the reduction of the weighting of cities' warming as compared to the weight given to the lesser amount of warming in rural areas since official stations are skewed toward UHI affected cities.

It seems like the hotter it gets the more and more off the station at RDU gets. Used to it being 3 to 5 degrees off all the time, but today it's 8 to 10 degrees off.
Maybe if you gave the sensor or the meteorologists in charge that hawk tuah it’ll get fixed. Go on head spit on that sensor

I swear when I was young, 20-25 years ago…we thought it was a big deal when it hit 90F in the summer. Now it hits 90F in October and when it hits 90F in July we reaching for a coat. 😳

This is August weather tbh in July and in June.

I had some plans to try out a new state park that I haven't been to over in Aiken County a couple weeks ago...then saw the forecast and had to nix it even if it was a place you could swim at as I was thinking about a hike.

There may be other times in which we've seen something like this, but I can't remember hitting the 100s with high dews as early as it occurred.

A couple of OG’s in the Weather Channel studios currently! Jeff Morrow and J Lo! Have not seenJ Lo in a hot minute!

Another day another screw job here. I'm glad the pattern changed and some are getting rain now. And the pattern looks good going forward. I just fear the results in this particular location will end up being the same results June produced.

Crazy how the world collapses when a run of the mill storm blows through. When the thunderstorm rolled through today there were multiple homes on fire due to lightning all at once including 3 in the same neighborhood in wake forest , arcing wires, cars in flood waters etc… I can’t imagine the chaos of a real bad hurricane if this is all caused by a thunderstorm

Another day another screw job here. I'm glad the pattern changed and some are getting rain now. And the pattern looks good going forward. I just fear the results in this particular location will end up being the same results June produced.
Well complaining yesterday has worked. Have no idea what I have so far since I decided not to keep track this summer. But it's easily more than I had received since June 1st combined. And probably safe to assume it'll be the highest daily total of summer. It's always been that way in this little spot. Very long stretches of nothing getting missed in all directions to getting it all at once and then back to nothing. That's summer in a nutshell here

Back