• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe weather threat April 17-19

I could see this developing into some type of 2 day serial derecho type event

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was thinking, due to moderate-strong height falls/strong low pressure system headed for the GLs and serial derechos are much more common with that type of pattern, a progressive derecho typically happens in the warmer season (for example 2012) where you just get monster downbursts due to dry air aloft/and or inverted Vs combined with some 0-6km bulk shear, serial derechos typically have unidirectional wind profiles and stronger wind shear associated with the strong trough to the west, storms drag down strong winds combined with dry air aloft which can not only have damaging winds, but Also more tornadoes spinups

Exactly what I was thinking, due to moderate-strong height falls/strong low pressure system headed for the GLs and serial derechos are much more common with that type of pattern, a progressive derecho typically happens in the warmer season (for example 2012) where you just get monster downbursts due to dry air aloft/and or inverted Vs combined with some 0-6km bulk shear, serial derechos typically have unidirectional wind profiles and stronger wind shear associated with the strong trough to the west, storms drag down strong winds combined with dry air aloft which can not only have damaging winds, but Also more tornadoes spinups
Something to definitely watch seen plenty of high risks days from derecho events. Mainly northwest of the south and in the summer. But nonetheless wind damage ain't a joke especially fallen trees.

Something to definitely watch seen plenty of high risks days from derecho events. Mainly northwest of the south and in the summer. But nonetheless wind damage ain't a joke especially fallen trees.

Heck yeah, high risk days are normally issued because of widespread wind damage, derechos ain’t no joke, most of the time the shelf cloud itself looks very menacing

Never underestimate the potential danger and destruction from straight line winds/downbursts, which can be 75 mph and as much as 100+ or so in the worst cases meaning the equivalent of up to an F1 to possibly even a low end F2 tornado or cat 2 to low end cat 3 cane winds. Also, damaging straight line winds like in a squall line often cover a larger area.

Never underestimate the potential danger and destruction from straight line winds/downbursts, which can be 75 mph and as much as 100+ or so in the worst cases meaning the equivalent of up to an F1 to possibly even a low end F2 tornado or cat 2 to low end cat 3 cane winds. Also, damaging straight line winds like in a squall line often cover a larger area.

I hate downbursts, I’ve gotten the most damage from them, only problem in summertime storms, they always tap into that dry air entrainment aloft giving the downdraft extra negative buoyancy, I think it was a day last year where I got some trees knocked down from a microburst (July 21st) I might be wrong but I remember soundings that day having inverted Vs and lots of dry air entrainment combined with DCAPE
B85A72BB-1B16-48E7-BA40-176A5DC6743A.png

That 00z nam gives a big OOF! to south MS/LA ?. East of there doesn't show much instability which would be the big limiting factor.

00z nam still gives the idea of a derecho statewide for alabama. Notice its not linear it looks like a big bowing line segment.Screenshot_20190415-214321_Samsung Internet.jpg

Brad travis just said one model was showing more CAPE and highs in the 80s here in Alabama but yet instability is low ???

We had a nasty micro/macro burst here in southern Greenville County 10 years ago. June 2009. Tons of trees down. It changed the entire landscape of Downtown Fountain inn. We lost tons of old oak trees. That was a wild ride. I’ll never forget it

Back