• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe Thread May 4-6

Knowing how these events ramp up for central Georgia, we'll probably have a small hatched area within a larger enhanced region by the Day 1. After the outbreak we had in central and east GA/SC on April 5th, I think I've had my share of close tornado encounters for the season.

Knowing how these events ramp up for central Georgia, we'll probably have a small hatched area within a larger enhanced region by the Day 1. After the outbreak we had in central and east GA/SC on April 5th, I think I've had my share of close tornado encounters for the season.
I could see a larger enchanced and a small moderate issued, if details become more clear.

RAH Afternoon Discussion:

.SHORT TERM /FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT/...
As of 330 PM Thursday...

The surface warm front will lift northeast across central NC Friday
afternoon, advecting a more moist airmass with surface dewpoints in
the mid to upper 60s throughout the day with strong southerly flow.
Showers and thunderstorms will develop ahead and along the front,
and what is much different than storms the past few days is the
presence of increased shear and SRH, in combination with elevated
CAPE values. 0-6 km shear will increase to 40-50 kt, and with 0-1 km
shear of 25-35 kt and SRH of 200-300 m2/s2, rotating updrafts are
likely with the threat of isolated tornadoes, in addition to the
threat of damaging wind gusts and large hail. SPC continues to have
the entire region under a slight risk of severe thunderstorms,
however this may be increased in some areas as the details come into
better agreement. High-res CAMs are starting to come in better
agreement in the timing of the details, and the strongest storms
will likely move west to east across the region starting in the
afternoon and ending in the evening. Most storms are expected to
move quick enough to avoid flash flooding, however some heavier
storms could cause an issue, especially over developed areas. Please
stay tuned for further updates on the severe potential of the
system.

Close to have a robust severe threat in central Alabama predawn based on HRRR. Will continue to watch trends.

HRRR needs to stop acting up with that nonsense. A few supercells nah come through in the early morning hours 23z continues the 22z thoughts

Yeah I think tomorrow is going to be a pretty fun/interesting day for some places. If I were to guess, the SPC will paint a small, incisive ENH zone with 10% tor in a skinny corridor that starts around Durham and peters out around Newport News. This corridor represents the goldilocks zone where the warm front is veering the surface winds a touch more (more easterly component) and upping helicity a little bit without sacrificing too much CAPE.

One thing that I think limits the tor potential some is the orientation of the warm front- it's not at a favorable angle to storm motions. Storms will have a tight window to take advantage of the most supportive environment before they just lose all the surface CAPE and become elevated guff. All of those "ride the warm front" cells typically occur with a front orientation that's a little more parallel.

I also don't think this is going to be a very "widespread" event- a lot of CAMs show these rogue strips of very dry air mixing to the surface tomorrow. It looks like a lot of dry upper air got entrained when this trough got cut off in the west. See below in the sandhills.
hrrr_Td2m_seus_22.png

And yeah with dews in the mid 50s you're going to stifle storm development. Think that the NC/VA border is the sport to track here.

Yeah I think tomorrow is going to be a pretty fun/interesting day for some places. If I were to guess, the SPC will paint a small, incisive ENH zone with 10% tor in a skinny corridor that starts around Durham and peters out around Newport News. This corridor represents the goldilocks zone where the warm front is veering the surface winds a touch more (more easterly component) and upping helicity a little bit without sacrificing too much CAPE.

One thing that I think limits the tor potential some is the orientation of the warm front- it's not at a favorable angle to storm motions. Storms will have a tight window to take advantage of the most supportive environment before they just lose all the surface CAPE and become elevated guff. All of those "ride the warm front" cells typically occur with a front orientation that's a little more parallel.

I also don't think this is going to be a very "widespread" event- a lot of CAMs show these rogue strips of very dry air mixing to the surface tomorrow. It looks like a lot of dry upper air got entrained when this trough got cut off in the west. See below in the sandhills.
hrrr_Td2m_seus_22.png

And yeah with dews in the mid 50s you're going to stifle storm development. Think that the NC/VA border is the sport to track here.
It’s worth noting however that the HRRR has a bad PBL mixing bias, it’s mixed out way to much on setups, definitely gonna be some mixing tomorrow but low 50s ? Pretty skeptical

One of the bigger enhanced regions I can remember! Interested to see the probabilities and discussion880B4BB1-0F15-4AEA-8A7C-409D7218A9F2.jpeg

Dang it doesn’t seem like a 10% chance tornado type of day none of the local weather Mets barely talked about it

Back