• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern September Somnolence

Looks like a pretty good cell south of Raleigh moving northeast. Wonder if it will hold together and make it up my way.

Just heard some thunder and got a special weather starement for that storm.

right at 4.5 inches of rain over the last 36 hours and the last two days in the low 70s . I have nothing to complain about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got 1.45" combined on that Wednesday split between the two storms that rolled through where I'm at in the area. Probably got another big chunk of rain today.

I got over 1" of rain here early Saturday afternoon, the heaviest in probably several weeks. I was just getting ready to start irrigating. After the very wet 2nd half of July, it had been dry overall. That was exacerbated by an unseasonably hot Sept. I hope to get more free irrigation soon as the lawn needs it.

By a whopping 1.4 F over Sep's of 1921's 79.5, KATL easily gets the 2nd hottest Sep on record back to 1879 with 80.9, an amazing 7.9 warmer than normal! Only the historic Sep of 1925's 83.0 (no, that's not a typo) was hotter! Even more amazingly, Sep barely beats out July's 80.8 to be the hottest month of the year! The only other times since 1879 Sep was the warmest month of the year: you guessed it, 1925 and 1921.

The lowest temp was only down to 69, which is THE highest Sep monthly minimum on record, beating the old record of 66 from 1925! Since 1926, the warmest minimum was 62.

Last edited:
SAV gets an 81.8 for Sep 2018, making it 3rd warmest on record back to 1873 behind 1925 and barely behind 1921!

Gainesville, FL, with records back to 1890, absolutely obliterates the all-time warmest Sep record with its 83.5!! The next hottest of 1925 was way down at 82.2! This month also ties August for the hottest of 2018. The lowest of the month was only down to 71, which makes it the warmest lowest for any Sep. The old record was 69.

It is no wonder why SSTs near the SE US are near August normals, which is a reason to watch the tropics extra closely due to this extra fuel. We're going into early October with SSTs likely as warm as they've ever been on record in early Oct. and they don't even look to cool much, if any, over the next 2 weeks

Last edited:
Only hit 83 this afternoon, was outside in the evening when the sun was going down when it was probably about 76-77, what a beautiful and comfortable (to me) night it was, it's too bad it's fake news and Octly, the continuation of summer is coming. Where it's not even just warmer than average, it's legit summer like temps.

My rainfall total for September is a little off due to a couple of days in there without my weather station (dead battery) but it's fairly close, I ended the month with 5.77 with 5 of that coming from showers/storms directly related to Florence. Imby otherwise Sept was a very dry month. (Now again it may be a tad higher than that I can't recall if it rained when my system was down or not, if it did it wasn't a large amount)

My rainfall total for September is a little off due to a couple of days in there without my weather station (dead battery) but it's fairly close, I ended the month with 5.77 with 5 of that coming from showers/storms directly related to Florence. Imby otherwise Sept was a very dry month. (Now again it may be a tad higher than that I can't recall if it rained when my system was down or not, if it did it wasn't a large amount)
I had under 2 inches here all month. Extremely dry and definitely hot. Not a good way to end the month across the area. Maybe October will bring some relief temperature and precipitation wise.

Back