• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern September 2023 Discussion Thread

No most are not attempting to just troll…average return period for a 100 down there is some 3 years and it’s been like what 7 years? I get it you hate heat… but be honest it’s time
I'm soon to be 53.
It's not been my experience to see 100°+ days every three years.
It's about once a decade or so.
When it happens.
Usually have 3-5 days of 100° heat which skews those numbers.

I'm soon to be 53.
It's not been my experience to see 100°+ days every three years.
It's about once a decade or so.
When it happens.
Usually have 3-5 days of 100° heat which skews those numbers.
Looking at data it’s not once a decade at all, tbf to your experience you grew up in the 70s which were a cooler decade restive to the overall POR.

Looking at data it’s not once a decade at all, tbf to your experience you grew up in the 70s which were a cooler decade restive to the overall POR.
Atlanta recorded 100+ five times in the 30's, three times in the 40's, two times in the 50's, never in the 60's and 70's (solar minimum, by the way), and then three times in the 80's, two years in the 90's, two years in the 2000's, and three years in the 2010's, and that's with an increasing UHI effect from 80's onward. Remember, Hartsfield's new infield terminals were built in the early 80's. There was nothing but grass fields at the recording station in the 30's and 40's. Those decades were HHHHHOT!

Going to have 90s next week along with more humidity. Back to at least 94-95 for 2 days. No real chance of rain either.

Going to have 90s next week along with more humidity. Back to at least 94-95 for 2 days. No real chance of rain either.
I don't believe the GFS output. It's crazy. NBM has Atlanta in to the low 90's again, but that's not unusual for early September. Atlanta "enjoys" a full 5 months of summer weather, so we have a month of it yet to experience. Atlanta's meteorological fall starts in October.

I don't believe the GFS output. It's crazy. NBM has Atlanta in to the low 90's again, but that's not unusual for early September. Atlanta "enjoys" a full 5 months of summer weather, so we have a month of it yet to experience. Atlanta's meteorological fall starts in October.
That came from the NWS in the point forecast for my location. The GFS has 99 here.

Detailed Forecast​

Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 59. East northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 83. Light east northeast wind.
Saturday Night
Clear, with a low around 59. Light and variable wind.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 88. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Sunday Night
Clear, with a low around 63. Light and variable wind.
Labor Day
Sunny, with a high near 91.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 66.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 94.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 68.
Wednesday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 95.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 68.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 93.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 67.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 92.

Very beneficial rains today. Very tropical storm like.

Some day it will rain here again. I think ?

Oh and I stopped looking at the GFS temps... They've been consistently too hot all summer. Like it had endless 100s here and I don't have a single high near that

Not gonna hold my breath, but I’m actually optimistic looking at H5 on the models. Nothing looks like “Here is fall!” But it doesn’t look like death ridge either.
Severe season will approach us soon

Native NC'r. The only thing I like about the growing season is that things grow. Otherwise I have never enjoyed heat/humidity. I do enjoy the occasional storm.

Nice to see lows comfortably in the 60s going forward regardless of the nasty mid 90s next week here in Charlotte!! Maple tree out front has a few leaves start to turn orange/yellow between 23-25th of September every year. September is a wonderful month of change.

Back