• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

SE US freezes/frosts April 2-4 with mega frost possibly down to Hogtown April 3rd!

Catastrophic freeze. Apparently every year we toast all our greenery though and this is nothing to worry about . See y’all April 25 when things are finally greened up again. Could also be as late as may 10 . Very very similar time line to places in Vermont and New Hampshire .

25.3, had very light breeze most of the night

8.5 hrs below freezing so far and 7.5 in the 20's. Centipede grass had really greened up this week, its severely damaged this morning.
Looks like a light snow cover right now. I assume my entire yard where it had greened up will be black and dead this afternoon. I doubt covering plants last night worked but we will see. Really need a rain this weekend and a long warm period to encourage things to start the regrowth process

Looks like a light snow cover right now. I assume my entire yard where it had greened up will be black and dead this afternoon. I doubt covering plants last night worked but we will see. Really need a rain this weekend and a long warm period to encourage things to start the regrowth process
It’s pretty damn sad . We spend most of the year brown and dead anyways , why do we have to spend even more now ?

Reactions: SD
It’s pretty damn sad . We spend most of the year brown and dead anyways , why do we have to spend even more now ?
It's ok after tonight the winter zombies will crawl back in their holes and this will all be forgotten by May ?

It sucks but it happens and you know nature will find a way it always does, if it didn't we would look like mars. I would certainly like to not have prolonged AN temps in March. Yeah it's nice but I told you guys it causes issues

It sucks but it happens and you know nature will find a way it always does, if it didn't we would look like mars. I would certainly like to not have prolonged AN temps in March. Yeah it's nice but I told you guys it causes issues
Except remember that we were actually slightly behind normal for spring green up this year not ahead! A cold March does the same thing a late freeze does in delaying things . Sure it would have been worse if it was well ahead .

Doubtful. I don't see how we recover from this. ?
I want to see that same attitude there for severe weather from y’all since everything that isn’t snow or ice or freezes is catastrophic ! See you in the next severe thread .

Except remember that we were actually slightly behind normal for spring green up this year not ahead! A cold March does the same thing a late freeze does in delaying things . Sure it would have been worse if it was well ahead .
I think that green up site people use is -------- or we aren't using it correctly honestly. Maybe I'm just misremembering but I don't believe we used to green up until mid April and that's slid forward over the last 10-15 yrs

I’m not sure on it’s methodology but I definitely think this has been the slowest green up since 2015 that’s for sure .
I've got pictures from early April 2018 and nothing is green. I'll check my pics to see if I have other years

I've got pictures from early April 2018 and nothing is green. I'll check my pics to see if I have other years
I think that’s because of March 2018 though, February 2018 things were green lol! Very early year .

I think that’s because of March 2018 though, February 2018 things were green lol! Very early year .
I remember everything had buds that Feb but I don't remember a ton of green up but you could be right.
Was our March departure vs the new normals or old?

I want to see that same attitude there for severe weather from y’all since everything that isn’t snow or ice or freezes is catastrophic ! See you in the next severe thread .
Severe weather events are definitely way overhyped. Not talking about anyone here, because this is a weather board, and talking about it is what we do. But TV, Twitter, etc. has turned every threat of anything into the worst thing possible. Snow, heat, storms, freezes, wind, even rain. It's a rush to see who can put out the biggest doom and gloom forecast/discussion. And 98% of the time, we don't get snow, we don't get severe weather outbreaks, the wind gusts to only 20, the vegetation comes back, the heat wave ends up being muted, and we don't have catastrophic flooding. Reasonable and normal doesn't sell nearly as well as hype and drama.

My recollection is February was spring fever central then -NAO locked in the beginning of March 2018 which resulted mostly cold wind for the month; which is typical at least in this neck of the woods; not so bad this year at least until April :)

On a side note; this was lurking around my wildlife camera last night:

1617453980854.png

I remember everything had buds that Feb but I don't remember a ton of green up but you could be right.
Was our March departure vs the new normals or old?
I remember February 2018 having leafy Bradford’s by the end . It was quite the spectacle ! March 2018 was below normal vs the old normals .

Back