• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

SE US freezes/frosts April 2-4 with mega frost possibly down to Hogtown April 3rd!

I think that green up site people use is -------- or we aren't using it correctly honestly. Maybe I'm just misremembering but I don't believe we used to green up until mid April and that's slid forward over the last 10-15 yrs
I think we were on track for a very normal green up this year . Trees had small leaves on them and we were on track for full leaf out within a week until tonight ! I don’t think the average green up date has changed much though at all. March has been cool last 10 years and April slightly milder .

I think we have the same opinions on Bradfords worst tree ever
Yeah , also to make matters worse Bradford’s take on these nasty black leaves when they get frost bitten ! Not looking forward to that yuck ! Everything else is brown and crispy but Bradford’s are this cancerous looking color .

I think we were on track for a very normal green up this year . Trees had small leaves on them and we were on track for full leaf out within a week until tonight ! I don’t think the average green up date has changed much though at all. March has been cool last 10 years and April slightly milder .
I think one thing that will help the leaves come back fairly quick is that there doesn’t appear to be any extended dry spell anytime soon and we don’t appear to be getting washed out for days at a time. Hopefully things will be back on track a couple weeks from now

The cold tonight is supported by unseasonably high SLPs.

This map below has the record high SLP's for April. Note the 1037.3 mb (30.63") for Asheville, which was set 4/7/1945. Their low that day was 28, well above the daily record of 20. Records there go back to 1939. The CMC has them getting to as high as 1035 mb or 30.56" (at 12Z tomorrow).

Note also the 1037.3 mb (30.63") for Charlotte, which was set 4/21/1897. Their low that day was 35, but keep in mind that that was in late April thogh ti was well above the daily record of 30. Records there go back to 1893. The CMC has them getting to as high as 1034 mb or 30.53" (at 12Z tomorrow).

View attachment 81149

This is verifying well with 30.50-.53” now in much of NC, SC, and as far down as SAV making for very rare very high April SLP. Many of these areas have come within 2-3 mb of the April records and thus supportive of freezes.

This is verifying well with 30.50-.53” now in much of NC, SC, and as far down as SAV making for very rare very high April SLP. Many of these areas have come within 2-3 mb of the April records and thus supportive of freezes.
30.528inHg 1033.8mb was the max imby

New Grass growth looks terrible now, damn I didn’t think it would do that much given the lack of frost

Reactions: SD
Lol and I’m sure this is knocking water temperatures back a bit to, bass spawn is never gonna happen at this rate !!!!

Major kudos to the CMC, which since the 12Z 3/24 run predicted incredibly well the hard NC freezes as well as light freezes far south of there and 30s into much of N FL. It never let up in any later run! The only thing it was off on was having SLPs ~4 mb too high. Here is the amazing CMC 3/24 12Z run’s 240 hour forecast, which turns out to be one of best forecasts for 240 hrs for any model ever:

7D1FB5BC-78E1-4D96-BAB7-80C41E77EE85.png

Pretty pumped that RDU beat GSO last night. 26 at RDU, 27 at GSO! Take that, Triad!!!! ?

12z NAM MOS has lows of 27/26 for GSO/RDU, respectively. 12z GFS MOS has 26/25. It even has Tallahassee, FL getting to freezing! This is basically in line with RAH’s thinking, so I think their forecast low for tonight looks pretty good based on the modeling.
Yesterday’s 12z NAM MOS was exactly on the money as it turns out! 27 at GSO last night, 26 at RDU!!

Yesterday’s 12z NAM MOS was exactly on the money as it turns out! 27 at GSO last night, 26 at RDU!!

Also, freezes as far S as N FL verified well with 30-32 in places like Crestview , Palatka, Live Oak, as well as Williston, which is 25 miles SW of Gainesville (Hogtown)!! And the big Hog didn’t disappoint with its 35, which amazingly is the coldest since way back on 2/4!! Ocala, which is ~40 miles further S even got down to 36!

Edited for Ocala location

Last edited:
Looks like winter again ??? there was several green spots even yesterday and especially the day before !! That’s crazy and sad 84DC9A95-7F60-49C9-846F-EFE1700F5F9C.jpeg

Also, freezes as far S as N FL verified well with 30-32 in places like Crestview , Palatka, Live Oak, as well as Williston, which is 25 miles SW of Gainesville (Hogtown)!! And the big Hog didn’t disappoint with its 35, which amazingly is the coldest since way back on 2/4!! Ocala, which is ~70 miles further S even got down to 36!
I'm surprised Gainesville got as cold as Atlanta. I guess the winds were up in Atlanta.

Back