• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Potential Dec 13-14 Ice Threat

Would this time period be considered to be in the NAM’s wheelhouse if not what hour would you start watching it?

Official Brad P. Forecast is nearly a carbon copy of the EURO. I would agree as euro is in its wheel/house. NAM is still too far out to trust IMO. EB624F98-D91D-4703-BD1A-802BA80A3A89.jpeg

Our local FOX 8 Van Denton says ------ It's a no go! IF moisture gets in before 9am MIGHT be some spotty ZR, but moisture looks to come in after 9am.
According to his Facebook yesterday, he said he was going with sleet. NWS also believes sleet/snow could occur early if precip is there. If there is a lull you could skip ZR altogether after some early sleet/snow mix then just goes to plain rain. Too far out to know the timing tho.

Lol. How specific. I agree it’s not ZR if it gets in early enough. 7B1D97D2-6F29-44B2-A850-B999D77443EC.jpeg

GFS pretty much holding serve. It does have some micro 32 pockets over Greensboro and south of Wilkesboro at lunch time Friday so lots of time for sleet/ZR if it reaches the ground. It really won’t take much if a heavy band sets up to deposit a coating of sleet maybe even a flake mixed esp before 5am. I would say after 8am the sleet chances goes to all ZR until 1pm.

If the CMC is right, some areas don’t go above freezing until late Friday. Given the GFS is 32 in areas at lunch time, I would say either Mount Airy or Wilkesboro sits at or below freezing until or past sunset Friday. That’s how stubborn CAD is and gfs never captures it. Of course, 32 doesn’t support a lot of ice.

NAM shows a ice storm for the upstate of SC, lol
on paper it makes sense for temps to wet bulb and cool from 6am to 1pm Friday esp Greensboro south/west to hickory. I guess it’s possible but a lot relies on moisture placement and actually hitting the ground

I have a feeling as NAM gets closer it will show at or below freezing through 5pm Friday for a few folks along the escarpment.mostly being sleet to a light glaze that never melts till Friday night. Typical NC ice during the day but warming over night to melt into Saturday.

Back