• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Potential Dec 13-14 Ice Threat

The Nam is running let’s see if it stays aggressive or caves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When’s the 0z NAM roll out?

NWS shows my hourly forecast for 5 AM Friday to be a temp of 27 and dp of 22 - about the time precip may be starting. If that’s correct, I’d say we could lock in below freezing for quite some time. They are forecasting a steady NE wind, yet the temp rises above freezing within a few hours. It just seems too fast to me unless the precip fails to materialize that early, but as webber was alluding to earlier, there’s reason to think some light isentropic upglide precip could get going pretty early. The local news here barely mentioned this at 6. It will be interesting to see where we’re sitting this time tomorrow.

The NAM is looking better. Faster separation. quicker phase, faster precip can get into the area before high erodes.
00z
1576141200-aCJ46qEe32I.png

18z
1576141200-rH0oGP5LSaY.png

The high slides out. Not sure what Nam thinks is holding in the cold air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 days away hopefully it trends faster. 6am onset is terrible when the immediate stuff is probably evaporating with the low dew points. Freezing rain event starting during the day prob won’t work for most in the Carolinas.

Precip never makes it that far east this run, strange.

I have not looked. BUT.. with insitu/cad profiles the dew points could be evaporating it. Most models try to account for that and show what has actually fallen.

ALSO.

Everyone be careful with those simulated radar/composite radars from the high resolution models. It does not mean it will reach the ground.

Back