• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Potential Dec 13-14 Ice Threat

Imagine if this turns out to be a major ice event for many in the Western NC area with little to no warning.
Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
It’s just too warm to really say more than a 5% chance of a major (widespread 0.25”). Maybe an isolated spot along the escarpment.

looking at the GEFS looks to have gone up on the chances of this event

Considering that CAD has a track record of being stronger than modeled, along with the short range models increasing their ice totals. The idea of warning level ice for some areas in the foothills isn't too out there.

Can you post it.

My map isn’t loading but based off my city charts for example my 12z GEFS had 4 members now theirs 9 members
12z
F7BE6819-379B-41AB-9FEC-B5C111F12073.jpeg

18z9D711E01-0EE9-4E00-993B-9E971465CECB.jpeg
If I need to post other cities I can

If RGEM looks like this tomorrow y'all need to be on alert.... its not a horrible model with thermals
2524d3d09e8ec66f8f1629ba870c1a60.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If RGEM looks like this tomorrow y'all need to be on alert.... its not a horrible model with thermals
2524d3d09e8ec66f8f1629ba870c1a60.jpg

I don’t trust the RGEM anymore. The first couple of years it shined and seemed to be a good model to determine precip type. The past two winters it has been really bad and often shown temps that were too cold and historic ice storms for CAD areas that never came to fruition. I actually prefer the NAM models, especially the 3k. Blend them with the Euro and it’s should be close to reality.

I don’t trust the RGEM anymore. The first couple of years it shined and seemed to be a good model to determine precip type. The past two winters it has been really bad and often shown temps that were too cold and historic ice storms for CAD areas that never came to fruition. I actually prefer the NAM models, especially the 3k. Blend them with the Euro and it’s should be close to reality.
I agree especially at its "long range", within 24 hrs it can still be close. CAD can be as fickle as ull at times, they're fun

NAM says thunder ZR/RN is a possibility, some elevated convection is possible, especially if it’s right with that MUcape, this means heavy ZR, also note nice lift (omega) from the WAA, but anyways quicker latent heat release would be likely with heavier rates, gotta remember that models count anything below freezing as Ice accumulation, you gotta account marginal temps, heavy rates, still 3km NAM shows significant pockets of ice, it’s a very close call for Charlotte, RGEM is starting to get some support AEE516EF-D359-4C5B-A6DE-25ACFB4D5C28.pngD85AF3A7-F7E3-4127-998A-E4AE420DCA62.png

atm, I’d lean with a glaze (trace-.1) of ice north if CLT/85, and as you get towards the foothills, 0.1 to 0.25 with a few pockets to 0.4/0.5 of ZR in those notorious CAD areas is possible, altho that’s the high side, out of these totals I’d look at the lowest side of them rn

As already pointed out 3km NAM brings precip in quicker in further north. And it’s usually to stingy with northward extent.

28905164-046B-47C0-8057-E4DBEB9789F8.gif

Back