• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Potential Dec 13-14 Ice Threat

I am utterly shocked! Didn’t see this coming!8DF19699-2081-4720-8F48-43D29C37F4D1.pngF3841834-F340-458B-A307-2ECA134C0FAC.pngA98D7959-5934-4A0E-B475-020C92123A12.png

I don't know if it will affect this event but my dew points were supposed to bottom out at 22 later today and maintain this through Friday morning but as I write this my dew point is 12 and looks to still be dropping. This could end up having an interesting effect on this event if it were to stay this way through Friday morning.

Last edited:
I don't know if it will affect this event but my dew points were supposed to bottom out at 22 later today and maintain this through Friday morning but as I write this my dew point is 12 and looks to still be dropping. This could end up having an interesting effect on this event if it were to stay this way through Friday morning.
Doubt it matters it’s mostly not having widespread precip earlier. It’s spotty, drizzle and maybe not even reaching the ground.

RGEM is an ice storm for many even into the afternoon hours. But usually doesn’t do well imo compared to euro. NAM will be something to watch tomorrow I think sometimes it’s usually a little too wet at this range.

CMC is now noticing how hard it is to erode the cad. At or below freezing all day Friday from Wilkes County back to west of Hickory. Very localized pockets even in the piedmont counties too.

As of now no change from me. Sleet mix northern mtns/hills then ZR. Ice will be severely limited in accumulation because of marginal temps but due to cold longer what does form could stay on the trees into Saturday particularly in the trees. Further south(Hickory,Statesville, Lenoir) I don’t see as much sleet mix mostly ZR to cold rain with similar ice of a trace to 0.1”.

Not surprising the 12k NAM has upped ice totals. Actually has GSP at warning level accumulation. I expect the 3k will be even better.
I guarantee it will get 0 mention from local Mets down here, because it’s the NAM, and outlier. People will ignore the event, because Mets are saying no impact here and minimal impact into our NC viewing area

TWC , ot even a mention!?EA80B33A-7319-477A-A083-E62DF6CA61A5.png

Imagine if this turns out to be a major ice event for many in the Western NC area with little to no warning.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Back