• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Potential Dec 13-14 Ice Threat

Crazy what the difference of going north a few miles does, around concord the wet bulb is 31-33, my closest weather station wet bulb is 31.7

Really needs to get down to about 30F or so to do some serious damage and I'm doubtful this will be the case in Charlotte anyways. There were several events last year where CLT had 33F & rain while areas just north had a little ice, the urban heat island certainly plays a role.

Really needs to get down to about 30F or so to do some serious damage and I'm doubtful this will be the case in Charlotte anyways. There were several events last year where CLT had 33F & rain while areas just north had a little ice, the urban heat island certainly plays a role.

Yeah, CLT has gotten away with Ice in these types of situations, and just had some SE winds which bumped the temp up to 37.8, wondering if maybe we could see a brief sleet pellet or 2 with evaporative cooling with that band moving towards the upstate

Yeah, CLT has gotten away with Ice in these types of situations, and just had some SE winds which bumped the temp up to 37.8, wondering if maybe we could see a brief sleet pellet or 2 with evaporative cooling with that band moving towards the upstate

Maybe... This already looks like game over in the Charlotte metro w/ the temp back up to 43F over 21F.

Good decision for the 80 or so counties already going with 3 hour delay option to close school. Gives it time to see if precip is frozen when it does occur.

Surface wet bulb map as of 1z. The northern & far western piedmont of NC certainly seems primed for a light glaze w/ wet bulbs in the upper 20s-near 30F, probably going to be too warm near the NC-SC border & points south.

View attachment 27905

looks like the setup last year where I Managed to get some ice back in Salisbury last winter, except now I’m in concord, gotta love in situ CAD setups and how close they can be

Yeah I'm up to 42 now

Back