• Hello guests. Please take a minute to sign up and join in the conversation. It's free, quick, and easy!

Political Thread

We could start by demanding that all parties represented on the ballot get the same government advantages. Do away with campaign contributions and afford each candidate government paid for time slots to sale themselves. One 30 minute primetime speech on domestic then another on foreign policies. Truly level the playing field.
I agree somewhat. I'm not sold on the idea that a corporation counts as a person when giving money to political causes. I think of course businesses should be able to protect themself and give accordingly to support their cause, but there has to be a better way to do it.

I agree somewhat. I'm not sold on the idea that a corporation counts as a person when giving money to political causes. I think of course businesses should be able to protect themself and give accordingly to support their cause, but there has to be a better way to do it.
Companies giving money to protect themselves is what has screwed up.DC with the BS lobbying.

Ever see the Eddie Murphy movie "the distinguished gentleman"?

We could start by demanding that all parties represented on the ballot get the same government advantages. Do away with campaign contributions and afford each candidate government paid for time slots to sale themselves. One 30 minute primetime speech on domestic then another on foreign policies. Truly level the playing field.
So after the "I represent the loving people of the world" party candidate gives his speech then what? You are gonna leave it up to a largely uneducated voting public to decipher a 30 minute speech from umpteen candidates and then decide if that person is the right man or woman to lead the most powerful country on Earth? Like it or not politics is a business and in the end money talks. Its a simple concept that idea of yours, but not realistic in any way, shape or form......

Companies giving money to protect themselves is what has screwed up.DC with the BS lobbying.

Ever see the Eddie Murphy movie "the distinguished gentleman"?
I'm actually against lobbying and special interests groups. But I think it should be okay for corporations to give money to a candidate that they choose that best represents their ability to be able to do business.

Arcc

Supporter
So you are saying that if someone shoots and kills your dog they should not be charged with a crime ? Does anyone on this board other than weatherfide actually think that it should be ok to intentionally harm a dog ?
If I have a stray or drop off come into my yard and I can’t coax it to move on, I’m shooting it. I have livestock that it will not have the chance to kill. I’m not feeding it and I’m not paying the insane vet bills for shots or to have it spayed or neutered. It’s hard to shell out the ridiculous costs for the pets I actually own.

If I have a stray or drop off come into my yard and I can’t coax it to move on, I’m shooting it. I have livestock that it will not have the chance to kill. I’m not feeding it and I’m not paying the insane vet bills for shots or to have it spayed or neutered. It’s hard to shell out the ridiculous costs for the pets I actually own.
How about instead of shooting it try to find someone who actually wants it ? Maybe a friend or something.

Rosie

Supporter
Ever heard of a rescue?

Arcc

Supporter
How about instead of shooting it try to find someone who actually wants it ? Maybe a friend or something.
Well since I’ve tried that and no one does and all the animal shelters are full with animals nobody wants because they are “no kill” and city shelters won’t take county animals, the most humane thing is to put it down.

Last edited:

Arcc

Supporter
Sometimes you just have to do the right thing, even if it is a little bit of an inconvenience.
Putting down a stray that nobody wants is the right and humane thing to do. Spending money on an animal that nobody wants is stupid when you have needy people around.

BTW, I’ve adopted a stray before and then it ate half my chickens and taught my puppies how to eat chickens.

Sometimes I wonder if a human's life is more valuable than a dog's. The way a lot of humanity acts these days makes me wonder.... People killing each other, molesting kids, etc. Humans are possibly the most cruel creature to ever walk this earth. I know there are good people out there, but still it makes me wonder when I see how cruel humans can be.

metwannabe

Staff member
Supporter
Sometimes I wonder if a human's life is more valuable than a dog's. The way a lot of humanity acts these days makes me wonder.... People killing each other, molesting kids, etc. Humans are possibly the most cruel creature to ever walk this earth. I know there are good people out there, but still it makes me wonder when I see how cruel humans can be.
Huh? Ok....

I'll give you this... humans can and do act despicable and there are laws in place to address those issues. But it's humans who train those animals, dogs, to behave properly. Have you seen animals that are wild? They kill, their reproduction cycle isn't for the faint hearted (and not to be to explicit here but what they do in the wild would be called rape and incest in the human world), they dominate the weak, they eat their own, they eat other animals babies because well they're animals.

I'm actually against lobbying and special interests groups. But I think it should be okay for corporations to give money to a candidate that they choose that best represents their ability to be able to do business.
Contradictory statement. Giving money to a candidate that best represents their ability to do business IS lobbying.

metwannabe

Staff member
Supporter
I mean lets be honest, there are some humans who's life is not as valuable as a dog. You think Hitler's life was more valuable ?
Huh? Ok....

I'll give you this... humans can and do act despicable and there are laws in place to address those issues. But it's humans who train those animals, dogs, to behave properly. Have you seen animals that are wild? They kill, their reproduction cycle isn't for the faint hearted (and not to be to explicit here but what they do in the wild would be called rape and incest in the human world), they dominate the weak, they eat their own, they eat other animals babies because well they're animals.

Arcc

Supporter
Considering most dogs and cats in the US live much better than 2/3rd of the world, I can mostly agree with your statement although from a different perspective.

metwannabe

Staff member
Supporter
Humans also train animals to behave improperly. When you see animals misbehaving its often the result of a human.
True and training an animal improperly then dumping it on my property isn't going to end with that animal at an overcrowded shelter. Sorry, I've got livestock and animals of my own to protect as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Arcc

Supporter
Am I misreading the law? It seems like it is targeted to certain types of cruelty like taking video of cruel behavior not just handling an aggressive drop off.
No I think you are right, the conversation just rabbit trailed. That said, when I first mentioned it, I knew what the law was, and it still irritates me.

Contradictory statement. Giving money to a candidate that best represents their ability to do business IS lobbying.
Well I didn't mean for the way it came out.. I am against actual lobbyists that Lobby on behalf of companies. But I'm okay with companies giving campaign donations to pro-business candidates. I'm talking about lobbyists that are employed by lobbying firms.

Last edited:
Am I misreading the law? It seems like it is targeted to certain types of cruelty like taking video of cruel behavior not just handling an aggressive drop off.
I think the problem lies in who decides it's "cruel" behavior? What if I post a video of my cat living outdoors (because she chooses to run outside every chance she gets) and some observer thinks it is cruel to leave cats outdoors? Do I get arrested first and then have to convince a jury that it's not cruel? The law is bad all the way around. Animals don't have rights.

Also, I don't want anyone to be cruel to animals! We should be good stewards of them. I think anyone posting videos of themselves being cruel to animals should be watched closely by society. They are displaying psychopathic behavior that will likely transfer to humans at some point. Definitely use these videos to establish character when they commit crimes against people.

Killing it is not the answer either.
What is the answer then? Can you suggest another, inexpensive option? What if it isn't a dog? What about other animal life-forms that cause damage to my property? Can't kill those pests either? No rat poison in the attic? No killing copperheads that live under the wood shed? Though one of those may take care of the other if present at the same time.

Can we agree that we can kill armadillos on sight?

GaWx

Supporter
In my new neighborhood, this one neighbor's medium sized male dog is almost ALWAYS loose outside during the day and sometimes walks into the street (probably because it is on a cul-de-sac). He often even visits my property while usually marking territory, etc. I haven't seen him poop on my lawn yet. The dog is very chill, not intimidating. pettable, doesn't jump on me, etc., even though he'll sometimes bark at me a little when he sees me from his property. Other longtime neighbors appear 100% fine with this and even give him attention.

I'm wondering how to handle this. I'll probably lay low (I don't like to interact too much with neighbors if I can avoid it) as long as he doesn't start pooping on my lawn and become more of a nuisance. After all, I don't want to be deemed a jerk. But is it strange that this dog is almost always outside (at least during the day)? If I had one, I wouldn't keep it loose. I do worry a little that a vehicle could accidentally hit him, but the owner is obviously not concerned.

What would you folks do in this situation? Lay low?

In my new neighborhood, this one neighbor's medium sized male dog is almost ALWAYS loose outside during the day and sometimes walks into the street (probably because it is on a cul-de-sac). He often even visits my property while usually marking territory, etc. I haven't seen him poop on my lawn yet. The dog is very chill, not intimidating. pettable, doesn't jump on me, etc., even though he'll sometimes bark at me a little when he sees me from his property. Other longtime neighbors appear 100% fine with this and even give him attention.

I'm wondering how to handle this. I'll probably lay low (my nature) as long as he doesn't start pooping on my lawn and become more of a nuisance. After all, I don't want to be deemed a jerk. But is it strange that this dog is almost always outside (at least during the day)? If I had one, I wouldn't keep it loose. I do worry a little that a vehicle could accidentally hit him, but the owner is obviously not concerned.

What would you folks do in this situation? Lay low?
Unless it's a Labrador Retriever, Pitbull, Dobermann, German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Chow or showing signs of aggressive behavior, I'd lay low, show it no signs of affection, if you don't want it on your property.

Rosie

Supporter
What is the answer then? Can you suggest another, inexpensive option? What if it isn't a dog? What about other animal life-forms that cause damage to my property? Can't kill those pests either? No rat poison in the attic? No killing copperheads that live under the wood shed? Though one of those may take care of the other if present at the same time.

Can we agree that we can kill armadillos on sight?
No