• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like these days politicians are either too far left or too far right for my taste. I would like to see a candidate who is more down the middle.

Yep, I like to say I didn't leave the GOP the GOP left me, the GOP IMO went off base when they let the religious right "Moral Majority" hijack the party in the late 80's......the GOP was always the party of freedom and individualism, it was about small federal fiscally responsible government that lives and let lives......now not so much.

Both parties have let the extreme 20% fringe elements of their parties take the leadership and control the message.....I would love for the middle 60% to form a new party and let the GOP and Dems have those two extreme 20% parts of the populous....

Last edited:
Yep, I like to say I didn't leave the GOP the GOP left me, the GOP IMO went off base when they let the religious right "Moral Majority" hijack the party in the late 80's......the GOP was always the party of freedom and individualism, it was about small federal fiscally responsible government that lives and let lives......now not so much.

Both parties have let the extreme 20% fringe elements of their parties take the leadership and control the message.....I would love for the middle 60% to form a new party and let the GOP and Dems have those two extreme 20% parts of the populous....
I wonder if you would define "religious right" and "moral majority"? Got a feeling, as a conservative Christian who opposes abortion and believe in the sanctity of life, that I'm gonna fall into this category but want clarification, thanks.

I wonder if you would define "religious right" and "moral majority"? Got a feeling, as a conservative Christian who opposes abortion and believe in the sanctity of life, that I'm gonna fall into this category but want clarification, thanks.
I just can't see myself aligning with a party that supports the killing of unborn children. It's a disgrace to our country. So yes, you can put me in the camp of a conservative Christian as well.

Well, we know Obama refused to talk to B.N. in Israel. The reason there is a religious right is because the left abandoned them. When you have a lib Dem in Virginia who suggests giving the family time to think about it and then aborting if they decide its not for them, after birth I might add, then where the heck do you think they are going to go? You think they are going to stick with that party? 11 percent unemployment, consecutive quarters of GDP downturn, after birth abortions, the "Green New Deal", energy dependence, self protection being taken "by kicking your doors down and grabbing our guns", among other things is our "other options." Trump has fought all of that. 2020 decision in a nutshell.

Despite the wide differences, it is civil in here. I hope folks keep it that way. Robust but civil discussion/debate is perfect. I hope we don't ever sink down to the levels of that horrible other place. The best way to do that is to say to yourself that others have as much right to their opinions as you have to yours.

To me its the wing of the party that pushes the social agenda more than the fiscal one.....abortion is something I struggle with, on one hand I think abortions are terrible and there should be a limit around 20-24 weeks on them for sure, but the libertarian in me says women deserve the right to choose....so I think Roe vs Wade is decided law and I think rules limiting the timing etc are sufficient.....then there is the gay marriage stuff it was/is just a huge waste of time, the current GOP needs to stop trying to legislate morality, its annoying.....as someone who is not religious I dont feel like the GOP speaks for me anymore on many issues.....

Since I am a atheist I do not want any religion being used as excuse for laws discriminating against any American or human anywhere for that matter......I am not one of these militant atheist though, I do not care if someone wants to believe in a god, just don't expect me to and don't use your (not you in particular but religious people in general ) beliefs as excuses to deny other Americans rights/liberty or the pursuit of happiness. Again I do not fit in a neat little box you can hang a R or D on......

In fact on AMPO they consider me a right wing nut job, on my hunt and fishing forum which is mostly hard right conservatives I am a Hillary/Obama/Pelosi loving liberal......

Despite the wide differences, it is civil in here. I hope folks keep it that way. Robust but civil discussion/debate is perfect. I hope we don't ever sink down to the levels of that horrible other place. The best way to do that is to say to yourself that others have as much right to their opinions as you have to yours.
I completely agree with you on that. Although there been some times I was typing and screaming some not so very Christian like things at some of y'all, that just didn't make it to the computer screen. Haha I'm just kidding

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To me its the wing of the party that pushes the social agenda more than the fiscal one.....abortion is something I struggle with, on one hand I think abortions are terrible and there should be a limit around 20-24 weeks on them for sure, but the libertarian in me says women deserve the right to choose....so I think Roe vs Wade is decided law and I think rules limiting the timing etc are sufficient.....then there is the gay marriage stuff it was/is just a huge waste of time, the current GOP needs to stop trying to legislate morality, its annoying.....as someone who is not religious I dont feel like the GOP speaks for me anymore on many issues.....

Since I am a atheist I do not want any religion being used as excuse for laws discriminating against any American or human anywhere for that matter......I am not one of these militant atheist though, I do not care if someone wants to believe in a god, just don't expect me to and don't use your (not you in particular but religious people in general ) beliefs as excuses to deny other Americans rights/liberty or the pursuit of happiness. Again I do not fit in a neat little box you can hang a R or D on......

In fact on AMPO they consider me a right wing nut job, on my hunt and fishing forum which is mostly hard right conservatives I am a Hillary/Obama/Pelosi loving liberal......
Yeah you're definitely going through a little bit of an identity crisis

Yeah you're definitely going through a little bit of an identity crisis

I am actually very comfortable where I am, I am frustrated that usually my options for president all have several belief/platforms that I feel I cant really support....like the 2nd amend I am pretty big 2nd amend guy, so that rules out most Dems, so GOP is the way I will vote most of the time.....I just need Trump to go the hell on so I can actually vote GOP again.

Trust me, most would probably call me far right and even probably a Christian fanatic, I'm OK with that. With that being said I love some freedom, liberty is what makes this nation great and I definitely do not like the idea of restricting anyone's freedom. However freedom does come with boundaries, we have laws and those laws, I believe, are based on a moral authority whether one chooses to believe in a higher being or not. Freedom to do as one pleases does not give an individual the right to enjoy those freedoms at the expense or detriment of others.

This country was founded on it's belief in God and our right to worship. "In God we trust" is still on our money..... I am sorry that your beliefs do not match those on which our founding fathers cherished so deeply. However, that is your right, we don't share the same view, but I will respect your position. One thing to note.... the moral majority campaign in the 80's, to which you referred, was not a new thing. It's been there since the inception of this country.

This country was founded on it's belief in God and our right to worship. "In God we trust" is still on our money..... I am sorry that your beliefs do not match those on which our founding fathers cherished so deeply. However, that is your right, we don't share the same view, but I will respect your position. One thing to note.... the moral majority campaign in the 80's, to which you referred, was not a new thing. It's been there since the inception of this country.
Even though our country was founded on our belief of god in general. Even way back when there was still lots of disagreement upon religion. One of the reasons we originally came over for religious freedom, why is this still a problem today, people need to worry about their own religions. The same thing regarding politics, I don't think it's fair to ever criticize anyone's beliefs, sure we can argue what is best overall, however, anyone saying you are all wrong isn't right. I'm not saying anyone here is wrong, just putting things in perspective.

Actually that's not true, in God we trust was added to money very recently

I don't think people understand the importance of .. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." That this was given by God , and not by man. Therefore only God can take away these rights and that no man can take it from you.

I don't think people understand the importance of .. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." That this was given by God , and not by man. Therefore only God can take away these rights and that no man can take it from you.
The founding fathers were very clear on the need for separation of church and state. They never wanted one religion to dictate laws that everyone had to follow. Wasn't Franklin a atheist?

Jefferson wrote that and he didn't believe in the Virgin birth of Jesus, just like Washington and Adams. They believed in a creator but not necessarily the Christian God. God didn't deny these freedoms to the slaves in this country, it was mainly very religious men.

I have a hard time believing Reagan would ask the Soviets to investigate a opponent or Bush asking China the same. I can't imagine W or Clinton needing help from a communist country to be reelected and if Obama went on national television and asked the Chinese to investigate Romney he would have been impeached the next day

You mean big oil money Bush and Wait until after the election Obama? Or Clinton and all his lies? You can have a hard time believing it if you will, but with the corruption of politians nothing would surprise me.

The only thing about Trump in this regard is he is not a seasoned politician so his lies are painfully obvious and the fact that he has a problem with leakers.

You mean big oil money Bush and Wait until after the election Obama? Or Clinton and all his lies? You can have a hard time believing it if you will, but with the corruption of politians nothing would surprise me.

The only thing about Trump in this regard is he is not a seasoned politician so his lies are painfully obvious and the fact that he has a problem with leakers.
They are all corrupt only Trump is stupid enough to show it on national television. He is either very stupid or actually believes he can shoot someone in times square and people would still vote for him. I lost all respect for this excuse for a person when he dumped on McCain. He was to much of a coward to fight in Vietnam but likes heros that weren't captured.

I have family members that died in Vietnam because they were too poor to get out of it unlike Trump. McCain joined on his own and spent years in prison only to have Republicans turn their back on him and his service. Trump cheapened and belittled McCains honorable service and weakens our country by the day.

Well In God We Trust was added in 1956.....and the Committee of 5 that drafted the Constitution ( Franklin, Jefferson, Adams, Sherman, Livingston) were mostly Deist especially Franklin and Jefferson, for example neither believed Jesus was the son of god nor believed in the trinity etc...certainly their views would prevent them from being a member of any current mainstream Christian sects. Though there were very devout Christians among the founding fathers the core group that wrote most of the documents etc were Deist......

I also think its important to point out that this is not a "Christian" nation, the better turn of phrase would be a nation of Christians.....the Constitution expressly makes that very clear..the founders were very big on separation of church and state. So freedom of religion includes freedom from religion....sometimes ( and this is not one of them ) I get the feeling from some Christians that this should be a "Christian" nation instead of a nation of Christians and that many of these people would be ok with the Christian church playing a more prominent role in the government etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back