• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This harkens back to my earlier point wrt Trump and many conservatives prioritizing the economy over actual lives. Many are only concerned about their check books in the immediate term and fail to see the bigger picture and disastrous consequences that come with the other alternative of keeping the economy open and overloading the health care system beyond repair and having basically everyone requiring ICU and those needing immediate treatment for ailments that have absolutely nothing to do with the coronavirus potentially perish because they can’t get the medical treatment they need right away.

The economy can’t be kept down for months and months without a total collapse of everything and anarchy happening. We can’t simply close the economy until this virus disappears or a vaccine comes along in 12-18 months. I’m okay with a short term shutdown for a month or two, assuming we can get this stimulus stuff passed, but longer than that is a tough call imo. You either keep the economy closed for a month or two to flatten the curve and then open it up or keep it closed indefinitely hoping for a vaccine and risk total collapse of everything as we know it. Human suffering isn’t just lives lost to a virus, it’s a lot more than that. It’s people filled with anxiety, fear, depression, increased suicides, losing everything they have, etc that also has to be looked at too. It’s not an easy decision and honestly something that most people have never seen in their lifetime so choosing the best path forward and taking the loss of life vs these other factors into account is a tough task.

The economy can’t be kept down for months and months without a total collapse of everything and anarchy happening. We can’t simply close the economy until this virus disappears or a vaccine comes along in 12-18 months. I’m okay with a short term shutdown for a month or two, assuming we can get this stimulus stuff passed, but longer than that is a tough call imo. You either keep the economy closed for a month or two to flatten the curve and then open it up or keep it closed indefinitely hoping for a vaccine and risk total collapse of everything as we know it. Human suffering isn’t just lives lost to a virus, it’s a lot more than that. It’s people filled with anxiety, fear, depression, increased suicides, losing everything they have, etc that also has to be looked at too. It’s not an easy decision and honestly something that most people have never seen in their lifetime so choosing the best path forward and taking the loss of life vs these other factors into account is a tough task.

There's a pretty huge difference between shutting everything down for just a few weeks as Trump suggests vs a few months as you & I are supporting. Opening the economy back up too early and allowing the virus to spread yet again opens the door for mutations and deadlier, more virulent strains to emerge.

The stupid part is the economy and market have already taken the hit.....half assing the shutdown etc will mean it was all for nothing.....

There's a pretty huge difference between shutting everything down for just a few weeks as Trump suggests vs a few months as you & I are supporting. Opening the economy back up too early and allowing the virus to spread yet again opens the door for mutations and deadlier, more virulent strains to emerge.

And as a result also arguably cause a more negative effect on the economy from a cumulative standpoint than would have been the case with a shortened period of restrictions! So, shortening it too much could end up causing a lose lose situation.

And to @snowlover91 , we’re not far apart as I’m thinking likely no more than a few months (til around May or June perhaps). But Trump is talking like it could be only til early to mid April.

When the economy is opened back up, whether a few weeks or months, the virus will start spreading again. China has had their economy locked down far more than any other country for a couple months now and there are reports a new wave may be starting there or they fear one will. I just don’t see an easy solution to this whether it’s a few weeks or months. The only real solution would be if we had a vaccine coming along but we will probably need to wait 12-18 months for one. The other option would be IF the anti-viral stuff continues to have good results then maybe slowly open the economy back up and treat the people who need it with that. But there just isn’t an easy solution imo, even if things are shut down 1-2 months we have to figure out what we do when a second wave starts/hits a month or two later as things open back up.

And as a result also arguably cause a more negative effect on the economy from a cumulative standpoint than would have been the case with a shortened period of restrictions! So, shortening it too much could end up causing a lose lose situation.

And to @snowlover91 , we’re not far apart as I’m thinking likely no more than a few months (til around May or June perhaps). But Trump is talking like it could be only til early to mid April.

But if we shut it down through May or June, things slowly get back to normal for a month and then wave 2 hits what do we do then? Shut it all down for 2 more months or longer?

But if we shut it down through May or June, things slowly get back to normal for a month and then wave 2 hits what do we do then? Shut it all down for 2 more months or longer?

1. Hopefully by then the drug cocktail will be approved.

2. It would hopefully still flatten the curve/spread out the infections.

3. Wild card: Could the infection rate be helped by getting into summer?

The chance of an outbreak re-emerging w/ a potentially more virulent mutated strain of the coronavirus in the fall if we lift restrictions too early is deeply concerning to me.

I do understand where Trumps coming from. We can’t keep people out of work for months. People will lose there homes and go hungry. Is that really ok? I don’t want 100,000 people dead either but I also don’t want people losing jobs and homes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Freeze mortgage, rent, utilities, etc. Send $1k-2k a month to every American. Wait a few months, curve will flatten. Sure, the economy will take a hit, but it'll bounce back, just take a look at history. Are we really going to go down the road of "money now">"greater good of USA" again?

But what if the drug cocktail doesn’t work or isn’t approved? It would flatten the curve but as soon as you open things back up a new spike would start, right? We don’t really know if summer will help or not and even if it does it would likely just slow down the rate of spread.

Freeze mortgage, rent, utilities, etc. Send $1k-2k a month to every American. Wait a few months, curve will flatten. Sure, the economy will take a hit, but it'll bounce back, just take a look at history. Are we really going to go down the road of "money now">"greater good of USA" again?

Well considering congress can’t get the stimulus bill approved to do some of the stuff you mentioned, like the checks for Americans, not sure we can count on that as a viable option unfortunately.

Congress and senate would have to agree to pull that off. Good luck with that my 5yr old would be easier to negotiate with then Congress and senate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back