• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do me a favor. Find an old couple preferably married for 50+ years. Tell them you would like the economy to get back on track and that in order to do that they need to suck it up and risk everything for the STOCK market.

After one of them succumbs to the virus look the surviving one in the face and say "thanks for your sacrifice I just bought a new 60 inch TV"

Some of yall disappoint me.

Stupidity knows no bounds.

Do me a favor. Find an old couple preferably married for 50+ years. Tell them you would like the economy to get back on track and that in order to do that they need to suck it up and risk everything for the STOCK market.

After one of them succumbs to the virus look the surviving one in the face and say "thanks for your sacrifice I just bought a new 60 inch TV"

Some of yall disappoint me.
My mom and dad, 77 & 80, are devastated because they've worked their entire life. They didn't borrow, they paid cash, scraped, saved and several years ago invested and they did if for their children and grandchildren, that's how they are. They are losing everything thing they've worked their entire life for. It worries my dad so much, me, my brother and my sister have to talk to him every day to calm his nerves, the economic crash is killing him. They both have said they just want things to open up and get back to normal. It breaks my heart to see him losing his investment, it's not selfish, for my parents its selflessness and killing them because they care more about the future of the next generation then their own. It pays to see things from all perspectives.

My mom and dad, 77 & 80, are devastated because they've worked their entire life. They didn't borrow, they paid cash, scraped, saved and several years ago invested and they did if for their children and grandchildren, that's how they are. They are losing everything thing they've worked their entire life for. It worries my dad so much, me, my brother and my sister have to talk to him every day to calm his nerves, the economic crash is killing him. They both have said they just want things to open up and get back to normal. It breaks my heart to see him losing his investment, it's not selfish, for my parents its selflessness and killing them because they care more about the future of the next generation then their own. It pays to see things from all perspectives.
I did not know we had 1st cousins as parents ...

Should be easy to calm the nerves. Y'all are in it for the long haul correct? It will recover with time and their investment will still pay off.

Anybody wanna call this stupid? Prayers for your parents man. Mine are the same age

Should be easy to calm the nerves. Y'all are in it for the long haul correct? It will recover with time and their investment will still pay off.
I know this and we tell my dad that daily but it's not as easy for him to see it vanishing before his eyes like it is. Anyway I was just adding a different perspective

Look at it this way. A couple saved up and worked hard and had 500k in the stock market to live off for the next 20 years. Now a crash comes and their savings is worth 250k and they have no idea how much further it’ll go down. That will cause a ton of fear and worry for any elderly couple... and I know quite a few in this exact boat who would prefer the economy get back up and running vs the anxiety/fear that comes with seeing their investments cut in half in a few weeks.

Look at it this way. A couple saved up and worked hard and had 500k in the stock market to live off for the next 20 years. Now a crash comes and their savings is worth 250k and they have no idea how much further it’ll go down. That will cause a ton of fear and worry for any elderly couple... and I know quite a few in this exact boat who would prefer the economy get back up and running vs the anxiety/fear that comes with seeing their investments cut in half in a few weeks.

The economy is crashing because of an out of control virus. Opening things back up making this virus even more unpredictable, even more rampant, and even more widespread is not bringing the economy back its hurting the economy even more.

So you don’t have kids but you can say some people care more about money then their son or daughter. That’s a comment people without kids can say and it’s stupid. You will learn one day my man. Fathers love their kids more then money and you will see how great it is. I’m not going to fall to your level and attack people because I don’t agree with them. I’ll let you do that since it makes you feel better. Like I said before I was 24 once. Keep doing your thang brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd take a bullet for both of my kids, sacrifice for our children comes easy and if anyone ever accused me of loving money more then them, well they'd only say it once to my face.

This harkens back to my earlier point wrt Trump and many conservatives prioritizing the economy over actual lives. Many are only concerned about their check books in the immediate term and fail to see the bigger picture and disastrous consequences that come with the other alternative of keeping the economy open and overloading the health care system beyond repair and having basically everyone requiring ICU and those needing immediate treatment for ailments that have absolutely nothing to do with the coronavirus potentially perish because they can’t get the medical treatment they need right away.

I know this and we tell my dad that daily but it's not as easy for him to see it vanishing before his eyes like it is. Anyway I was just adding a different perspective

Hey man, there are financial advisers who specialize in working with retirees. Most I know work off the rule of 100. Meaning your age -100 you should have protected. So an 80 year old should have 80% protected from loss in a no risk position. Please understand I'm not trying to be a jerk in any way. Just once they recover they might want to look at repositioning. Most 80 year olds have "won the race" and don't need to take that risk, especially if it is earmarked for legacy purposes. That sounds like your family. I hope the best for them

IF they are working with an FA currently that advised an 80 year old to be in a high risk portfolio you may want to look at other means of recourse.

I'd take a bullet for both of my kids, sacrifice for our children comes easy and if anyone ever accused me of loving money more then them, well they'd only say it once to my face.

Damn straight. I would do it in a heartbeat. It’s about making our children’s life better then ours. As a Parent you learn to sacrifice a lot and I would do anything if it helped my kids in the future. Got to be a parent to under that I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This harkens back to my earlier point wrt Trump and many conservatives prioritizing the economy over actual lives. Many are only concerned about their check books in the immediate term and fail to see the bigger picture and disastrous consequences that come with the other alternative of keeping the economy open and overloading the health care system beyond repair and having basically everyone requiring ICU and those needing immediate treatment for ailments that have absolutely nothing to do with the coronavirus potentially perish because they can’t get the medical treatment they need right away.

Theres no easy pathway forward sadly.

Hey man, there are financial advisers who specialize in working with retirees. Most I know work off the rule of 100. Meaning your age -100 you should have protected. So an 80 year old should have 80% protected from loss in a no risk position. Please understand I'm not trying to be a jerk in any way. Just once they recover they might want to look at repositioning. Most 80 year olds have "won the race" and don't need to take that risk, especially if it is earmarked for legacy purposes. That sounds like your family. I hope the best for them

IF they are working with an FA currently that advised an 80 year old to be in a high risk portfolio you may want to look at other means of recourse.
They have an advisor and it's not in high risk, problem is everything is down these days. I don't know all the details, he's a stubborn buzzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back