• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is setting dangerous precedence that will bite us in the arse. Just like I'm sure many Democrats feel about Reids nuclear option.

It's not just about policy.
The Dems set a precedence also. Trying to impeach him. Does not matter if you are Democrat or Republican. From now on the other party will try to impeach every president. I’m not sure why there is not an investigation into Polosi. She clearly has a history of corruption. If Biden wins I’m sure there will be plenty to try an impeach him on. No politician is not corrupt and a liar. The hate towards this president is pathetic. Just like when Obama was in office and all the racial issues associated under him.

I support capital punishment .... otherwise there is no fear of punishment for the mass shootings, cop killings, or serial killings that go on today. Make it swift and clean. If you admit to it, or there is irrefutable evidence that you did it, then face the firing squad out back as soon as the sentence is read. Who's with me?
I most definitely am. If someone is guilty wo any questions and definitely someone who has harmed a child or lady should be executed.

Either way it goes we are one election from a civil war against govt in the US. It will happen eventually it’s unavoidable. Too many radical liberals wanting to open the boarders and blame guns for everything. Too many wanting the govt to give them everything while they sit at home. They want the govt to warm their baby bottles up and feed it to them. Even then they will complain the milk is to cold or to warm. Free, free, Free they scream. They will be ones that would throw white flags up and say I will bow to the govt.

I did not vote for nor support Obama's policies while he was President but did not go around constantly criticizing every comment or decision he made ( and I disagreed with virtually everything he did) but he was MY President whether I liked it or supported him. I guess that is what being mature is all about. Opinions are just that, and we are all entitled to them, but sometimes things are not as cut and dried as either side would like or proclaim them to be

this!

I was in Boston last night and talked to somebody in therapy over Trump lol. Said doesn't even want to think about 4 more years lol

We agree that abortion shouldn't be used as birth control and personally I'm against it completely however that's for an individual to decide. There are states that will allow it even if Roe v Wade was overturned.

Even a penny of my tax dollars should not be used for it, planned parenthood is a horrible nightmare.

Planned parenthood was started as a way to control the “less desirable” (ie. African American) parts of the population. Margaret Sanger started this awful organization and she believed in the use of eugenics for population control.

The ability to end a pregnancy should be allowed for medical reasons, rape, and incest.

I’m Catholic and don’t believe in abortion for birth control or the death penalty. You can’t espouse about the sanctity of life for babies while also talking about taking life for capital crimes. Statistics show that the death penalty is not a deterrent. To say you support one but not the other is the definition of hypocrite.

I suppose I'm an oddity here but I don't support the wall (and I think it will be repealed in the future). I do however support bumping up restrictions on immigration from Mexico (not unreasonable, but making it strict), because there has been drug trafficking issues related to Mexico/South America (as just one reason), but on the other side, there are also people that are trying to escape their life in Mexico and make a new life for themselves in the United States.

If people want to own guns, I don't really care about that but I think the strictness of being able to buy one needs to be bumped up because there's too much gun violence that goes on. I however, kind of don't like Georgia passing the law that allows you to brandish guns. Or maybe that's because my dad (who I think wants to ban gun ownage by normal people), when he heard that law while we were out, made fun of that law in an incriminating matter (saying something along the line of "OK, so I guess people can wave their guns to get something they want now").

I suppose I'm an oddity here but I don't support the wall (and I think it will be repealed in the future). I do however support bumping up restrictions on immigration from Mexico (not unreasonable, but making it strict), because there has been drug trafficking issues related to Mexico/South America (as just one reason), but on the other side, there are also people that are trying to escape their life in Mexico and make a new life for themselves in the United States.

If people want to own guns, I don't really care about that but I think the strictness of being able to buy one needs to be bumped up because there's too much gun violence that goes on. I however, kind of don't like Georgia passing the law that allows you to brandish guns. Or maybe that's because my dad (who I think wants to ban gun ownage by normal people), when he heard that law while we were out, made fun of that law in an incriminating matter (saying something along the line of "OK, so I guess people can wave their guns to get something they want now").

Strict rules on immigration and guns will do wonders on stopping law abiding people. So what do you propose for those that dont care about laws? Its those people you want to restrict correct?

Strict rules on immigration and guns will do wonders on stopping law abiding people. So what do you propose for those that dont care about laws? Its those people you want to restrict correct?

Now that I'm actually looking into it, I'll just drop this post off I've seen from reddit and move on. It has some points that I didn't even realize....

Look, I understand how a wall seems like a common-sense solution if your goal is to keep people out. If you're one of those people who thinks there is some sort of immigration crisis wherein we're being "flooded by illegals" (we're not, by the way; we've been experiencing an outflow of illegal immigrants since around 2009), I can see how that option might be attractive in it's simplicity.

The problem is, it's simply a rediculous idea.

First, I haven't seen any credible estimates that suggest the wall will be a net positive boost to the economy. I know of the CIS study that came out, I've read the rebuttles, and the rebuttles of the rebuttles, and one thing is abundantly clear: that study is deeply flawed and cherry-picked. Being that it would be one of the most expensive pieces of infastructure ever built, I would need some seriously bullet-proof numbers before I would want any of my tax dollars to go to it. And if you're truly a conservative, and can honestly say you're in the "fiscal responsibility" camp, you should view it with at least the same amount of scepticism.

Second, border crossings themselves are at an all-time low, something Trump himself loves to talk about. Putting aside the rhetoric (since this trend also predates Trump's presidency by years), you might be tempted to think, "well sure, we're protecting our border better and a wall will only help!"

When in fact, this is likely due to a great many variables that have little to do with border security, such as the fact that Mexico's economy is actually doing pretty well, and their fertility rates have been falling steadily, alleviating demographic pressure to migrate(WARNING: PDF download).

Another reason a wall won't work is that the vast majority of illegal immigrants are a product of visa overstays, making up over 40% of illegal immigrants. A wall won't keep those people out.

In regards to my previous point, I've seen it argued that of course you should do something about visa overstays AND build the wall to address the issue on multiple front. While that's a fair point, I believe it's myopic. Which brings me to my next point.

The solution to illegal immigration may actually be...less security.

See, from 1965 to 1985, around 86% of undocumented entries were offset by departures- meaning it was mostly cyclical This was back when border security was minimal, and crossing back and forth was fairly simple. Then, Reagan decided to militarize the border, inflating the cost, in terms of both money and danger, in crossing the border.

It used to be that immigrants would come to the US for a few months, work for a bit, and then cross back. In the mid eighties, we poured millions into border security, but caused the immigrant population to explode, because those migrants were now stuck here, unable or unwilling to make the now expensive and dangerous trek back home. This militarization was continued and increased throughout the Clinton and Bush administrations as well, and came with an even larger increase in undocumented immigrant populations.

Doug Massey, who runs the largest and most comprehensive database of US migration statistics in the world and author of that last source I posted, estimates that by opening our borders back up, we would lower net migration by a third. No wall necessary.

Last edited:
Planned parenthood was started as a way to control the “less desirable” (ie. African American) parts of the population. Margaret Sanger started this awful organization and she believed in the use of eugenics for population control.

The ability to end a pregnancy should be allowed for medical reasons, rape, and incest.

I’m Catholic and don’t believe in abortion for birth control or the death penalty. You can’t espouse about the sanctity of life for babies while also talking about taking life for capital crimes. Statistics show that the death penalty is not a deterrent. To say you support one but not the other is the definition of hypocrite.
Wait just one minute..... One has nothing to do with the other. One is a defenseless child and the other chose their destiny by taking the lives of others. If I didn't believe in the sanctity of life, I would not care if a penalty was imposed for killing. Don't ever call me a hypocrite again! I am far from it bud.

Wait just one minute..... One has nothing to do with the other. One is a defenseless child and the other chose their destiny by taking the lives of others. If I didn't believe in the sanctity of life, I would not care if a penalty was imposed for killing. Don't ever call me a hypocrite again! I am far from it bud.

Taking a life, no matter for what reason, is wrong. Life in prison without the chance of parole is a better answer than state sponsored murder. Two wrongs don’t make a right. To say you support no abortions, but want the death penalty, does in fact make you a hypocrite.

Hypocrisy is the practice of engaging in the same behavior or activity for which one criticizes another. In moral psychology, it is the failure to follow one's own expressed moral rules and principles.

Taking a life, no matter for what reason, is wrong. Life in prison without the chance of parole is a better answer than state sponsored murder. Two wrongs don’t make a right. To say you support no abortions, but want the death penalty, does in fact make you a hypocrite.

Hypocrisy is the practice of engaging in the same behavior or activity for which one criticizes another. In moral psychology, it is the failure to follow one's own expressed moral rules and principles.
You sir are wrong and WAY off base here... killing an unborn baby can not be compared to killing a convicted serial killer. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. Carrying out a sentence for a crime is not even in the same ballpark as abortion. If you think we should just shelter them, let them appeal the ruling 30 times, write books and make a fortune, while they enjoy a life off of taxpayers money, you are part of our problem. I will end the discussion now before I lose my cool.

Now that I'm actually looking into it, I'll just drop this post off I've seen from reddit and move on. It has some points that I didn't even realize....

Look, I understand how a wall seems like a common-sense solution if your goal is to keep people out. If you're one of those people who thinks there is some sort of immigration crisis wherein we're being "flooded by illegals" (we're not, by the way; we've been experiencing an outflow of illegal immigrants since around 2009), I can see how that option might be attractive in it's simplicity.

The problem is, it's simply a rediculous idea.

First, I haven't seen any credible estimates that suggest the wall will be a net positive boost to the economy. I know of the CIS study that came out, I've read the rebuttles, and the rebuttles of the rebuttles, and one thing is abundantly clear: that study is deeply flawed and cherry-picked. Being that it would be one of the most expensive pieces of infastructure ever built, I would need some seriously bullet-proof numbers before I would want any of my tax dollars to go to it. And if you're truly a conservative, and can honestly say you're in the "fiscal responsibility" camp, you should view it with at least the same amount of scepticism.

Second, border crossings themselves are at an all-time low, something Trump himself loves to talk about. Putting aside the rhetoric (since this trend also predates Trump's presidency by years), you might be tempted to think, "well sure, we're protecting our border better and a wall will only help!"

When in fact, this is likely due to a great many variables that have little to do with border security, such as the fact that Mexico's economy is actually doing pretty well, and their fertility rates have been falling steadily, alleviating demographic pressure to migrate(WARNING: PDF download).

Another reason a wall won't work is that the vast majority of illegal immigrants are a product of visa overstays, making up over 40% of illegal immigrants. A wall won't keep those people out.

In regards to my previous point, I've seen it argued that of course you should do something about visa overstays AND build the wall to address the issue on multiple front. While that's a fair point, I believe it's myopic. Which brings me to my next point.

The solution to illegal immigration may actually be...less security.

See, from 1965 to 1985, around 86% of undocumented entries were offset by departures- meaning it was mostly cyclical This was back when border security was minimal, and crossing back and forth was fairly simple. Then, Reagan decided to militarize the border, inflating the cost, in terms of both money and danger, in crossing the border.

It used to be that immigrants would come to the US for a few months, work for a bit, and then cross back. In the mid eighties, we poured millions into border security, but caused the immigrant population to explode, because those migrants were now stuck here, unable or unwilling to make the now expensive and dangerous trek back home. This militarization was continued and increased throughout the Clinton and Bush administrations as well, and came with an even larger increase in undocumented immigrant populations.

Doug Massey, who runs the largest and most comprehensive database of US migration statistics in the world and author of that last source I posted, estimates that by opening our borders back up, we would lower net migration by a third. No wall necessary.
Well in my 20+ year military career I have been down to our border. I have seen whoamd what crosses it. I have trained so of the border agents protecting it. In my time I have also been to israel, syria, iraq, afghanistan, yemen, Somalia, hell I can go on and on. In that span i have seen thousands of miles of walls of verying degrees of uses and protection. Walls are deterrents not meant ir even capable of 100% protection. Do they cost money? Absolutely. Is the cost justifiable? Depends on how much you think they protect I suppose. I have seen enough walls in my life, and I know enough about what is coming into this country through our southern border that it is absolutely worth every dime spent. My family's protection is worth it. I dont need to read an article by some pundit with an opinion to help me understand what i already know to be reality because i have seen it first hand.

You sir are wrong and WAY off base here... killing an unborn baby can not be compared to killing a convicted serial killer. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. Carrying out a sentence for a crime is not even in the same ballpark as abortion. If you think we should just shelter them, let them appeal the ruling 30 times, write books and make a fortune, while they enjoy a life off of taxpayers money, you are part of our problem. I will end the discussion now before I lose my cool.

Lose your cool. I don’t give a rosy red rats a$$ if you do. If this is making you mad maybe you need to take a look inward at yourself. I never said anything about writing books and making fortunes. If that happens then the monies should be given to the victims families. Yes. Lock them up until the die of natural causes.

If you’re too obtuse to recognize that murder is murder, then I can’t help you. You’re a hypocrite. Plain and simple. You can’t even see the folly in your argument. Do a little reading and educate yourself on the statistics regarding capital punishment and how it doesn’t work to stop homicides. Seriously. Educate yourself.

Well in my 20+ year military career I have been down to our border. I have seen whoamd what crosses it. I have trained so of the border agents protecting it. In my time I have also been to israel, syria, iraq, afghanistan, yemen, Somalia, hell I can go on and on. In that span i have seen thousands of miles of walls of verying degrees of uses and protection. Walls are deterrents not meant ir even capable of 100% protection. Do they cost money? Absolutely. Is the cost justifiable? Depends on how much you think they protect I suppose. I have seen enough walls in my life, and I know enough about what is coming into this country through our southern border that it is absolutely worth every dime spent. My family's protection is worth it. I dont need to read an article by some pundit with an opinion to help me understand what i already know to be reality because i have seen it first hand.

Al Qaeda realized the laxity if border security and the lack of a barrier on our southern border and sought to utilize that to their advantage. Quite a few news stories about this.

It's individual specific deterrent, in other words it guarantees that individual will never kill again. And yes that's possible and it happens, they can/have killed other inmates, they occasionally escape and kill again, also the correctional officers that have to watch then 24/7 have lost their lives. 4 right down the road from you in 2017, death penalty needs to be carried out to prevent these from killing again.

It's individual specific deterrent, in other words it guarantees that individual will never kill again. And yes that's possible and it happens, they can/have killed other inmates, they occasionally escape and kill again, also the correctional officers that have to watch then 24/7 have lost their lives. 4 right down the road from you in 2017, death penalty needs to be carried out to prevent these from killing again.

My Nextdoor neighbors daughter was engaged to Geoff Howe, the maintenance guy who was killed in the escape attempt.

Lose your cool. I don’t give a rosy red rats a$$ if you do. If this is making you mad maybe you need to take a look inward at yourself. I never said anything about writing books and making fortunes. If that happens then the monies should be given to the victims families. Yes. Lock them up until the die of natural causes.

If you’re too obtuse to recognize that murder is murder, then I can’t help you. You’re a hypocrite. Plain and simple. You can’t even see the folly in your argument. Do a little reading and educate yourself on the statistics regarding capital punishment and how it doesn’t work to stop homicides. Seriously. Educate yourself.
You still don't get it do you. If I commit a crime knowing that I will receive the death penalty for it, that's not murder when I am executed. It is suicide. Just like "suicide by cop". Did the cop commit a murder???? No, the defendant killed himself. Again, it is not anywhere near the same as abortion. At work when I fire an employee. I am not the one who fires them, they fire themselves. I am just the one who informs them that they no longer have a job. Same with an executioner, he is just the one who carries out their suicide. Seems a lot different when you look at it through clear glasses doesn't it? Oh, and by the way, I am a well educated professional.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree.

You still don't get it do you. If I commit a crime knowing that I will receive the death penalty for it, that's not murder when I am executed. It is suicide. Just like "suicide by cop". Did the cop commit a murder???? No, the defendant killed himself. Again, it is not anywhere near the same as abortion. At work when I fire an employee. I am not the one who fires them, they fire themselves. I am just the one who informs them that they no longer have a job. Same with an executioner, he is just the one who carries out their suicide. Seems a lot different when you look at it through clear glasses doesn't it? Oh, and by the way, I am a well educated professional.

You can paint the picture however you want, but it still doesn’t change the content. The death penalty is there and does not deter crime. It is outdated and not a deterrent.

https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/... sided. The death penalty is not a deterrent.

You can paint the picture however you want, but it still doesn’t change the content. The death penalty is there and does not deter crime. It is outdated and not a deterrent.

https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/... sided. The death penalty is not a deterrent.
As I have been reminded. Let’s use credible sources. I am just messing and trying to make people laugh. I did read and interesting article. I like reading all different point of views to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back