• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread: The Sequel

Interesting to see if this cones out at hearings next Monday,If True. Lot to learn,gather here.

Very easy to see where posters are on the spectrum, which is perfectly fine. But this race is about Trump vs Biden, not the VP pick. Just as people talked about past things Democrats said about Biden in 2022, including Harris, people are not voting for the VP, they are voting for the President. Those same swing voters in the swing states are still going to focus on the top of the ticket and make their choice. Those of us commenting one way or the other have already made up our minds on who we are voting for.

Right now it is Trumps race to lose in my opinion. His speech on Thursday is way more important than his VP pick in my opinion. He has a chance to change the rhetoric and provide a more united message. Will he focus on the positives and present his message, or will we hear some of the same rhetoric that fires up his base but turns off swing voters?

Let's be honest, people are not voting for Joe Biden. People went out and voted for Reagan. They went out and voted for Obama. In this race, people are going to vote for or against Donald Trump. Regardless of his VP pick, he has a lot going for him at the moment. Will he continue it on Thursday, or will he revert back to some of the rhetoric that turns off those swing voters.

Also, a lot can happen between now and November, so you never know but if Trump rises to the occasion and Biden remains the nominee, Trump has a very good chance of winning.

More musings about Vance: I’m still of the thought he was a poor choice. To some degree I think Trump believes evangelicals will vote for him no matter what, and to an extent he’s correct. HOWEVER, there’s still an anti-Catholic bias among large swaths of southern baptists. With the abortion “issue” being settled I do wonder if turnout may drop in places like Georgia and NC. It does not help that the GOP nominee in NC can’t seem to stop making offensive remarks.

From a policy perspective what’s out there on him is mixed. He seems to favor reviving rural America but has a history of working with venture capital in California and had his Senate campaign financed by Peter Thiel. Ds are going to have a field day with this because as many of us have seen or lived venture (or vulture) capital is a big reason so many manufacturing jobs have been lost in small town and cities over the past 3 decades. He has further taken the position of currency devaluation (aka weak dollar policy) as a method to bring manufacturing back. This idea and the constant discussion of tariffs are effectively a handout to the billionaire class and a massive inflation and tax increase on lower and middle class Americans.

I say all this about Vance because HE will be the one advocating for and discussing these policies in public. It’s traditional for VP debates to be policy driven and I mean this as no offense against Trump supporters, he has not and I believe cannot articulate any public policy theories beyond tariffs on China since 2016.

Na that was very obviously sarcasm.

Politicians are by default opportunistic and we all know that. Usually there’s something they care about though and for Vance that has seemed to be creating opportunities for disadvantaged kids like himself. I’ll be curious what he says about how that should be done at a federal level. If it involves more taxpayer money to subsidize private schools I think it’s a miss.

I agree. There is a difference in the school choice movement and subsidizing private education. Charter schools are still public schools, and I think most can understand that they can be helpful and give opportunities. Subsidizing private education is simply helping the rich send their children to schools that can allow or deny anyone they choose, for whatever reason they choose.

Law enforcement in this country is a joke. Not always at a micro level but in a macro sense a joke. Police training post 9/11 was heavily weighted towards a Muslim terrorist threat that never came. De-escalation training was replaced with escalation dominance training. On and on and on.

And now we have police all over the country in so many cases failing to fulfill their duties. It’s a wonder why public trust in police is at an all time low.

I agree. There is a difference in the school choice movement and subsidizing private education. Charter schools are still public schools, and I think most can understand that they can be helpful and give opportunities. Subsidizing private education is simply helping the rich send their children to schools that can allow or deny anyone they choose, for whatever reason they choose.
It’s been shown in other states that tried this private school enrollment did not change. It’s effectively subsidizing private education for those already wealthy enough to afford it.

I agree on charter schools though. I was not a fan years ago because I believed they would harm small rural districts but that hasn’t proven to be the case.

Whoa!! Elon Musk following assassination attempt will commit 45 million per MONTH to a new super PAC backing Trump. Dayummmm.
I'm a Trump supporter and this is huge, however, I'm not a fan of an individual being able to donate this much to a campaign. I know it's through a super PAC and not directly to Trump campaign but it will serve the purpose. The elites have too much power, regardless what side of the aisle they are on, this is never a good thing imho

Back