• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread: The Sequel

I don’t necessarily believe he has it locked up, but it’s about as locked up as it could theoretically get. I mean for goodness sakes the Dems were fighting each other all last week to try to force the sitting President and current nominee to step down with threats from other liberals about cutting off funding for the campaign. The media who wouldn’t touch Joe for years were attacking him with everything they had. If you are to that point, you believe Trump has it locked up as it currently sits and that is before the GOP nominee was almost killed.
That was all before today Trump picked vance because he thinks its safe to pick a rear end licker since the election is over. Pride goeth before the fall.

Vance is like Trump, a fairly populist guy, but he is far more articulate than Trump, and smart as hell. He is a pretty effective public speaker too. Gotcha type questions are not going to work well with him either.

Trump can let him be the attack dog this time around.
Attack the elderly saying he will end medicare and social security? Attack by saying no exception for rape or incest? Attack DEMS for calling trump hitler by saying, yea, i think he is hitler too?

Come on, you know Youngkin would have added to the ticket. Vance in one stroke undoes everything that has happened the last few weeks and now all the focus is going to be on vance's views on women, medicare, social security, and 2025, and yes abortion the dems best issue.
You're too emotionally attached to it. I wouldn't have picked Vance but I'm not president candidate to make that decision.

The ones that are the loudest are wishing the Republican party would go back to what it was in 2014. I've said over and over it's never going to happen. It's too far gone andvthe party has changed too much. I'm glad the party has changed. I have changed as a result as well. Best bet would just be register as libertarian or a liberal and you won't be so upset every time the Republican party does something you don't like because they don't cater to your subset expectations.

Attack the elderly saying he will end medicare and social security? Attack by saying no exception for rape or incest? Attack DEMS for calling trump hitler by saying, yea, i think he is hitler too?
SS and Medicare are failing under government management. There is a difference in privatizing and ending.

Huh? She isn't liked in her own party.....lol. She polls worse than a man who doesn't know what planet he is on
She was fairly popular in California and polls better than Biden vs Trump. Obviously hypothetical but still. To me, her stance on things like the death penalty is admirable and as DA in San Francisco she had some tough on crime policies that would play well in the current climate. *If* Biden were to drop out that would be her only shot IMO. She couldn’t win running as female Biden.

That was all before today Trump picked vance because he thinks its safe to pick a rear end licker since the election is over. Pride goeth before the fall.

I think it would be silly to assume a VP will reverse the absolute slide Biden and co has seen the past few weeks, but I guess it could happen even as illogical as it seems.

This is the same thing that happens with Trump all the time. People love progressivism so much, everything he says gets twisted on purpose. He obviously doesn't help himself and he often says things in a way that would be better said another way. But there has been a lot of lying when it comes to talking about Trump since 2016.
No Trump says what he says. It's what one chooses to hear.

A great example was the "stand down and stand by"

So what's the current odds on Biden being on the ticket come November? Looks about 50/50 to me with the piling on for him to drop out still growing.

Regarding Dem Pres nominee, the last 30 days for Biden (light blue) vs Harris have been wild on PredictIt betting market fwiw. A month ago, Biden was way up 80 to 10. Then he got as far down as 35 to 55 after last week’s bad name gaffes. Since then he’s come way back up to 70-20.

IMG_9935.png

She was fairly popular in California and polls better than Biden vs Trump. Obviously hypothetical but still. To me, her stance on things like the death penalty is admirable and as DA in San Francisco she had some tough on crime policies that would play well in the current climate. *If* Biden were to drop out that would be her only shot IMO. She couldn’t win running as female Biden.

I think it’s gonna be tough to drop Biden and get to Harris and hope to win. While she may energize the faltering youth vote, you would be effectively kicking the “kind, thoughtful, sharp” old man to the curb and hurt yourself even more with the Rust belt vote. The Dems are just in a pickle outside of Michele Obama. Both the Dems and the media failed big time for propping Biden up for so long. If they were gonna replace him, the should have started the “Biden is slipping” narrative over a year ago.

She polls good in Cali? Ya don't say....lol
Biden has an excuse for being dumb, he has worsening dementia. Kamala is one step in front of the Hauk Tuah girl on experience only. That's what she does well

She polls good in Cali? Ya don't say....lol
Biden has an excuse for being dumb, he has worsening dementia. Kamala is one step in front of the Hauk Tuah girl on experience only. That's what she does well
Are you saying she's good at giving "baby showers"?

SS and Medicare are failing under government management. There is a difference in privatizing and ending.
Would have to respectfully disagree in saying those programs are failing because of “government management.” Not sure what it actually means to be honest. They aren’t investment funds.

I’m not a big fan of transferring more taxpayer money to private industry. Having the trust fund managed by Wall Street would be a huge boon to Wall Street but introduce huge risk to all of us. Lifting the contribution cap would get us through the boomers and once they’re gone it’s fine until the 2070s in the last numbers I remember seeing.

Medicare/Medicaid spending is a tougher issue. It’s inseparable from the issue of rising healthcare costs and private insurance. From an economic perspective I would like to see us work towards a public insurance option again. Health insurance is a parasitic drag in the economy (no offense to anyone in the industry) and puts us at a disadvantage when trying to rebuild our manufacturing economy.

When your own side is starting to throw in the towel you have problems that a lame Trump VP isn’t gonna fix.

That again was before 2 hours ago. If trump was a quarterback he would be one that all he has to do is take a knee to run out the clock instead he fumbles the football and turns the ball over to give the other team new life. Picking Youngkin would have wrapped up the election today. Instead the idiot decided hand the ball off instead of taking a knee.

I think it’s gonna be tough to drop Biden and get to Harris and hope to win. While she may energize the faltering youth vote, you would be effectively kicking the “kind, thoughtful, sharp” old man to the curb and hurt yourself even more with the Rust belt vote. The Dems are just in a pickle outside of Michele Obama. Both the Dems and the media failed big time for propping Biden up for so long. If they were gonna replace him, the should have started the “Biden is slipping” narrative over a year ago.
I’ve never gotten a straight answer from my D friends on this question: If Trump is truly a threat to democracy, shouldn’t you pull out all the stops to beat him?

Would have to respectfully disagree in saying those programs are failing because of “government management.” Not sure what it actually means to be honest. They aren’t investment funds.

I’m not a big fan of transferring more taxpayer money to private industry. Having the trust fund managed by Wall Street would be a huge boon to Wall Street but introduce huge risk to all of us. Lifting the contribution cap would get us through the boomers and once they’re gone it’s fine until the 2070s in the last numbers I remember seeing.

Medicare/Medicaid spending is a tougher issue. It’s inseparable from the issue of rising healthcare costs and private insurance. From an economic perspective I would like to see us work towards a public insurance option again. Health insurance is a parasitic drag in the economy (no offense to anyone in the industry) and puts us at a disadvantage when trying to rebuild our manufacturing economy.
One example is that SS benefits are being given to illegals through various government created pork projects. That's our money, not theirs. Just about any institution that the government gets their hands on goes broke. I will agree with you on the parasitic nature of the current health insurance industry.

Vance is a risky pick but he does check a lot of boxes.
A millennial (only 39 years old).
A published author (a New York Times bestseller at that).
A veteran (Marine Corp).
A venture capitalist.
A populist.
A brilliant debater.
From a swing state.
I’ve been thinking of a polite way to ask this. How will this play with evangelical voters? An irreligious Trump and Vance being baptized Catholic a few years ago. Does it not matter any more?

I’m friends with a lot of evangelicals it we don’t discuss religion.

Back