• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Ostrich December

This map is kinda deceptive. It makes it look like people in Fargo will be wearing shorts and flip flops when their forecast is actually in the mid to upper 30s for this time period. I have to remind myself that bright reds dont necessarily mean warm weather.

By their standards in mid-winter it's a heat wave. I have actually been to Roseau, MN in middle of January and people there actually do wear shorts and roll their windows down when temperatures reach the mid 30s. It was quite a sight to see

Yeah that ridge in the west is trending taller and also getting some AN heights towards Greenland/Baffin bay, maybe we can trend to a nice -NAO ?

View attachment 53080
I think we really need to trend to a -NAO, or at least get rid of those positive heights south of Greenland. From my take, there's too much low pressure and very little CAD. I don't know, the lower heights look great, but it isn't reflected snow on model maps.

I think we really need to trend to a -NAO, or at least get rid of those positive heights south of Greenland. From my take, there's too much low pressure and very little CAD. I don't know, the lower heights look great, but it isn't reflected snow on model maps.

Here's January 2000's z500a
January 23-25 2000 500 hPa pattern.gif

Interesting, do you think that models aren't picking up on mesoscale features that could make the difference in this setup?
That and there’s so much potential variability in the synoptic pattern and models aren’t properly dispersed to correctly proportion all the potential scenarios or even get the synoptics down right.

Don't we want Canada to be cold and have a lot of snowpack to provide colder air?

Don't we want Canada to be cold and have a lot of snowpack to provide colder air?
Kinda, that's just an excuse we use when the cold air is locked up in Canada. Blocking is used to push the cold air down to us. Better Canada warm while we freeze, vs. the opposite.

Back