• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Novemburrr

While Miller A/coastal cyclones are the favored storm type w/ -NAO when the pattern can support winter storms, it's certainly far from guaranteed

For example, every winter storm I've looked at since 1948 ending up being a Miller B/CAD event when a -PNA couples to -NAO (n = ~ 25). -PNA/SW US - southern plains cut offs force warm advection aloft, and encourage height rises over the Lakes and southern Quebec/Ontario + synoptic-scale descent over New England >> surface pressure rises.

Notice you didn’t show the GFS’s own ensemble, the GEFS, which looks the same as the op
View attachment 95118
Yeah I hold more stock in the euro and Canadian ensembles as they jump around way less often and stick to their guns more than not. I believe euro was the first one to see this winter cold attack in the east consistently so yes I didn’t include the GEFS

Yeah I hold more stock in the euro and Canadian ensembles as they jump around way less often and stick to their guns more than not. I believe euro was the first one to see this winter cold attack in the east consistently so yes I didn’t include the GEFS
The Canadian? The model that perpetually gives us subzero temperatures from November all the way through March? You put stock in that Canadian?

The Canadian? The model that perpetually gives us subzero temperatures from November all the way through March? You put stock in that Canadian?
More the ensembles the operational is a crazy uncle .. I put more stock in any group of ensembles more than its operational plus more often than not it leans towards the euro which usually catches onto the right idea the quickest but at the end of the day anything can happen with weather around here ??‍♂️

The Canadian ensembles are the least reliable of the 3 major ensemble suites, you're just saying this because it's producing the solution you want.

The Canadian ensembles are the least reliable of the 3 major ensemble suites, you're just saying this because it's producing the solution you want.
I mean he's not wrong that the GFS and GEFS have been widely swinging back and forth between warmth and cold every few runs. Especially the operational. GFS has been way too warm in the medium and long range at least around my neck of the woods. Consistently anywhere from 3-7 degrees too warm even going into the short range. Doesn't mean it isn't right in the solution for more ridging over the east but it looks like a -NAO is going to be pretty persistent even into the long range right now and that's going to mute any SE ridge. At least with what the models are showing right now, average seems to be the warmer side of any solution and cold definitely appears to be more likely, strictly at this point in time. Could easily switch back however.

My biggest question still is how this pattern progresses into December. Gut tells me the NAO breaks down by then but who knows
Yeah a lot of analog divergence once you get around Christmas into January. I figure we get into a SER look at some point in the first half of December and we start to approach the fork in the road of do we see it continue into Jan or do we go back into the pacific driven cold for late Dec into mid Jan

I mean he's not wrong that the GFS and GEFS have been widely swinging back and forth between warmth and cold every few runs. Especially the operational. GFS has been way too warm in the medium and long range at least around my neck of the woods. Consistently anywhere from 3-7 degrees too warm even going into the short range. Doesn't mean it isn't right in the solution for more ridging over the east but it looks like a -NAO is going to be pretty persistent even into the long range right now and that's going to mute any SE ridge. At least with what the models are showing right now, average seems to be the warmer side of any solution and cold definitely appears to be more likely, strictly at this point in time. Could easily switch back however.

For the time period that's being discussed, I don't know how much more consistency you could ask for from the GEFS. Not seeing any wild swings near Thanksgiving in the last several runs.

gfs-ens_z500a_us_fh204_trend.gif

For the time period that's being discussed, I don't know how much more consistency you could ask for from the GEFS. Not seeing any wild swings near Thanksgiving in the last several runs.

View attachment 95137
1637077581805.png
1637077616939.png
1637077644568.png
1637077672252.png

This has literally been the GFS at the same time period. That is just from the last 4 model cycles. There are clear night and day changes on every run.

View attachment 95139
View attachment 95140
View attachment 95141
View attachment 95142

This has literally been the GFS at the same time period. That is just from the last 4 model cycles. There are clear night and day changes on every run.

I wasn't talking about the GFS operational. You said both the GFS and GFS ensemble (GEFS) have been inconsistent and flipping wildly from run-to-run, which simply isn't true at all if you look at the gif in my response to you showing run-run consistency on the GEFS. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it's right & it might start flip-flopping soon, but I want to make sure others reading your post are getting accurate information.

operational changes all the damn time obviously, the ensemble is more reliable so I wouldnt pay attention to wild swings on the operational.
I know this lol. The GEFS has had swings just like the operational. Maybe not for 18z on Wednesday 11/24 but it has also had its fair share of crazy swings also. The Euro and EPS have as well. Point being they haven’t been nearly has inconsistent as the GFS and GEFS.

I know this lol. The GEFS has had swings just like the operational. Maybe not for 18z on Wednesday 11/24 but it has also had its fair share of crazy swings also. The Euro and EPS have as well. Point being they haven’t been nearly has inconsistent as the GFS and GEFS.
So throw darts at the board while we are blind folded… about same method . Hard to get excited just yet be honest

Back