• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Novemburrr

Within the EPS suite there are both cut-offs and eastern troughs, but the idea (via @NickyBGuarantee) that the GFS was way out in left field and not supported by ensembles is nonsense. Have to admit, having the Canadian ensemble (GEPS) show the most favorable look during this time for the SE US isn't exactly heartwarming because between the 3 ensembles (EPS, GEFS, & GEPS) it's usually most likely to be wrong. At this point, it hasn't rained here in nearly 2 months, cold rain for me would be a win.

1637068786587.png

So a pretty typical cold season weather forum experience lol
Yeah, seems to be the case these days and the norm I guess. Post your favorite map and call others out, always makes for a fun time (which I've been told I need more weather forum fun in my life so sure, why not)

I think one thing is for sure, models are still all over the place in the long term and strong high latitude blocking with a pac that doesn't want to play nice, can do that. That's some strong blocking though and I'd like to think that will eventually bode well for many in the SE, if it can hold on long enough.

I think one thing is for sure, models are still all over the place in the long term and strong high latitude blocking with a pac that doesn't want to play nice, can do that. That's some strong blocking though and I'd like to think that will eventually bode well for many in the SE, if it can hold on long enough.
Feels like the same battle as last year, averaging out the next couple of weeks, avg-slightly bn avg is the way to go

I take it one day at a time . Models I don’t pay attention to a whole lot. All I know is it’s been sunny and the cold days aren’t so bad either . Starting to progress to a wintry look with the bare trees . My favorite in winter though is the vast pine forests on the backdrop of a blue sky day in winter . I’ve also been stargazing a lot , something more difficult to do in summer . Saw 5 shooting stars Saturday night ! I definitely will go to the beach next month for a day, if not camp. Beach in winter is nice . I’m a simple man.

Good point. As we head into winter, strong blocking, should it materialize, is a good sign. However (and there always seems to be a however), the Pacific has been in a largely unfavorable state for sustained cold air delivery into the SE. Until we see actual evidence that that is changing, I'm inclined to not trust long duration cold in the east.

That said, a big Greenland block of enough magnitude will suppress the flow enough to keep the anomalous warmth at bay, even if some 500 mb maps get posted showing yellow or orange colors over the SE.

Anyway, evidence of strong blocking now is good. Until the Pacific can prove its case, then it would be prudent to look at sustained cold (not in and out cold shots) with the side eye.

At the very least, it feels like fall now. And hints of winter are definitely in the air.

Last edited:
If that blocking can hold like it did a year ago. I feel really good about our chances as we go through December. There is at least some decent cold air building up in NW Canada that wasn’t there last year. I would just like to see our northern states start to build some snow cover

Back