• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Novemburrr

CFS did a good job a few weeks back showing the transition to normal, last 10 days of Oct into Nov.
I was just browsing seeing what it was coughing up for late Nov. Saw some board wide pics, to good to pass up. Only about 28 days till verefication lol. When I'm teeing off in 55 degree air Nov 30th, I'll come back and revisit this post and remind myself the CFS lucked up with this current, new found success. Close your eyes Myfrotho704

1635852420659.png
1635852463684.png

Enjoy. Think thats the 1st digital snow for everyone. I average about 300 inches per year.

I do like the building pac ridge, hopefully transient cool shots also mean transient warm shots
Agreed. Not really seeing anything hanging around too long right now. We're transitioning to longer wavelengths, which will make things interesting.

CFS did a good job a few weeks back showing the transition to normal, last 10 days of Oct into Nov.
I was just browsing seeing what it was coughing up for late Nov. Saw some board wide pics, to good to pass up. Only about 28 days till verefication lol. When I'm teeing off in 55 degree air Nov 30th, I'll come back and revisit this post and remind myself the CFS lucked up with this current, new found success. Close your eyes Myfrotho704

View attachment 94173
View attachment 94174

Enjoy. Think thats the 1st digital snow for everyone. I average about 300 inches per year.

As weenie as these runs are, I always like looking at them (not just for the solutions they produce), but it shows us how we can win/score. A study on CFSv2 (or any other model) and the patterns in the model that produce big winter storms would be revealing, arguably perhaps even more so than a historical study, because we get so many runs every winter and it doesn't take us that many years to obtain enough runs to possess a sufficient sample of events in the model world to analyze, which also means the climate is fairly static over that time.

Notice in the days leading up to that event, there's a huge blocking high over the Bering Sea and eastern Siberia. This seeds the N American continent and preceding west-central US with Siberian air (the coldest air in the entire N hemisphere), which then gets tapped into by a wave interacting w/ the southern branch of the jet whose progression is accentuated by the subsequent trough over Alaska.

floop-cfs-2021110200.500h_anom.nh.gif

I'm not really sure what this is saying, but i like the big ridge over the west coast.
Snow opportunity for the NE and Northern mid Atlantic mid to late November. Only really good thing for us is the potential building blocks for a -nao.

You can see how the gfs is bouncing around post d10 and the 30 degree spreads in the eps. Get the trough/ ridge position right and you have something if you live to our north for us it's the difference in cold/SER

Back