• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Novemburrr

Indeed, all of the 12Z ensembles have the SE BN for the next 10-11 days. The 0Zs were similar. No mild anytime soon if models are right.
Can’t get too ahead of ourselves right now but certainly going in the right direction .. we’ve seen the directions change quite often tho so ??‍♂️

Can’t get too ahead of ourselves right now but certainly going in the right direction .. we’ve seen the directions change quite often tho so ??‍♂️

With the SE having had a chilly month, about to have their coldest of the season, with chill continuing through 12/1 or 12/2 on the models, and the MJO forecasted by the Euro to exit the MC in early December in a position to potentially rotate at low amplitudes into the left side of the RMM diagram for much of the rest of December, the cold lover in me is liking what I’m seeing for the SE for the next few weeks overall. There are almost always mild interludes. If so, so what? That’s normal.

Last edited:
Isn't phase 7 the snowiest phase in December. Or does that not become significant until later in the month?
View attachment 95515

I've been meaning to add the RMM MJO index to that excel sheet on my website, I may do so while also updating all those indices.

Not a huge sample size but they're pretty evenly distributed across December in phase 7 from what I can see. I still haven't included every storm in this time period and normalized by # of days per month & MJO phase.

These are the storms have occurred in RMM phase 7 during December. What I find most interesting is that storms which produce any wintry precip in the piedmont and coastal plain are ice storms/CAD, and there are some big snows for the Apps and far western-northwestern piedmont. There's little-no snow SE of the Triad in any of these events.

December phase 7 RMM NC winter storms

December 25 1981 (NW piedmont + Mtns crush job)

December 8-9 1989 (Ice storm)

December 13-14 2000 (Ice storm)

December 4-5 2002 (Ice storm)

December 18-19 2009 (NW piedmont + Mtns crush job)

December 18 2010 (negligible)

December 8-9 2017 (NW piedmont + Mtns crush job)

I've been meaning to add the RMM MJO index to that excel sheet on my website, I may do so while also updating all those indices.

Not a huge sample size but they're pretty evenly distributed across December in phase 7 from what I can see. I still haven't included every storm in this time period and normalized by # of days per month & MJO phase.

These are the storms have occurred in RMM phase 7 during December. What I find most interesting is that storms which produce any wintry precip in the piedmont and coastal plain are ice storms/CAD, and there are some big snows for the Apps and far western-northwestern piedmont. There's little-no snow SE of the Triad in any of these events.

The best December storm tho isn’t on your list . 2018! So we need whatever 2018 had .

The best December storm tho isn’t on your list . 2018! So we need whatever 2018 had .

Probably my favorite all time December storm, but then again I'm biased towards the Sandhills lol. Ice storm came around a couple days later and put a nice crust layer on top of the 12-15"+ of snow SE of Raleigh

December 11-12 1958 NC Snowmap.png

December 14-15 1958 NC Snowmap.png

That December 8-9, 1989 Ice Storm was a a forgotten beast. 2 solid inches of sleet with freezing rain on top had the CLT area shutdown. One of my sister’s friends was in a very serious car accident during that storm

34-37 on a late November morning ? Pants bursting average late November morning weather !!!
Any flakes in November is a W in my book plus 850s nice and cold all I’m saying is don’t sleep on the potential .. getting closer into range and rates would easily overcome boundary temps like that

Small adjustments = big time changes View attachment 95524
The Euro at the same time fwiw wasn’t much different. I’d become mildly intrigued if that look holds and improves the next several runs. For now, I’m not taking it too seriously and I’d argue it’s probably more likely the Apps and New England get some snow out of it

Any flakes in November is a W in my book plus 850s nice and cold all I’m saying is don’t sleep on the potential .. getting closer into range and rates would easily overcome boundary temps like that
Aw man, “rate will easily overcome”, guys happy to be back doing winter with y’all!
No disrespect at all, NickyB, just happy to hear our fav phrases out and about again!

A guy at American Weather mentioned about the niña becoming more east based that should allow the convection not to be stuck in the MC all winter and to be able to propagate further (mjo). That is the only thing that is keeping me mildly intrigued moving forward. And I guess coupled with the -qbo. Interesting combination

Back