• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Novemburrr

Imagine waking up to read the last 40 or so new posts and just about none of them have anything to do with the thread topic of November, which is going to end up nice and cold…actually the coldest month in years anomalywise for a good bit of the SE. A fantastic month!
It's too bad we don't have a correlation to winter temps for cold Novembers.

It's too bad we don't have a correlation to winter temps for cold Novembers.

Actually, there’s a slight correlation of cold Novembers to cold winters in the SE…only slight meaning that doesn’t at all mean a cold winter is likely but the slight positive correlation is there if you were to look at many decades of history.

The evolution that’s showing up is one that’s gonna be hard to break out of and is gonna take time, it’s just something that’ll hopefully change in models but La Niñas are typically better for the eastern US to start winter into mid winter, then the SE ridge becomes a issue the second half, it would suck wasting the first half away that favors better stuff in a La Niña for the east/southeast
Spitballing here. Wasn’t 2017 a Niña that produced for us? I can remember a decent snow that winter. Mostly stuff coming down out of Canada. Just can’t remember what month.

Spitballing here. Wasn’t 2017 a Niña that produced for us? I can remember a decent snow that winter. Mostly stuff coming down out of Canada. Just can’t remember what month.
2017 turned cold right at Christmas then we had that mega week of cold. Just missed the coastal in early Jan (parts of NC did well) then the big snow about 10 days later. Feb torched. Then it snowed like 4 times in March/April here

Sometimes the cartoons are right and sometimes wrong as they are just guidance. Makes for interesting wx forecasting discussions.

I love this time of year no matter the wx! And it doesn't get much better than today in November. Plus I'm loving the chilly month. That chilly Bleakies run from a couple of weeks ago was spot on! Hoping for a brisk stroll later! Had a good one last evening.
Me too! I look at the start of the winter the same as I look at a football or baseball season that’s just starting. There are lots of predictions but in the end there’s a reason they play the games and do not crown the preseason favorites before each season. It’s always exciting to see what kind of winter you’ll end up with at the end. The southeast is quite often a second half team so we should not write off the winter before December is even started.

1637520556432.png
Anyway we can get that energy in Texas to strengthen up? Plus more confluence in Northeast? I know that’s not going to happen, but it is that time of the year at least!

WRAL is giving their winter forecast tomorrow night on the 6:00 news. I expect it to be as conservative as possible.

People were cheering on the MJO several days ago because it looked like we were entering the cold phases. Going to run through 4-7 into early December, couldn’t get any warmer than this. No real signal for cold until/if we ever reach 8 (maybe** mid December?) Phase 7’s anomalies aren’t statistically significant except over the northern Plains

View attachment 95466View attachment 95465
Isn't phase 7 the snowiest phase in December. Or does that not become significant until later in the month?
EOFVFvgXkAAMwzt.jpg

Back