• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Nippy November

gfs_T850a_seus_59.png
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY THE SOUTH EAST RIDGE IS HEATING UP ...

Pacific pattern still looks like garbage but at least we've got something to go our way ~ day 8 on the EPS. The eastern US ridge is trending towards a -NAO

View attachment 26230

feels weird seeing the SER back down lol, but this pattern ain’t the best for a winter storm due to that -PNA, but there is that -NAO, starting to wonder if this is trending towards that cutoff -NAO look, do you perhaps know/got any past winter storms with a -NAO/-PNAish pattern that occurred

feels weird seeing the SER back down lol, but this pattern ain’t the best for a winter storm due to that -PNA, but there is that -NAO, starting to wonder if this is trending towards that cutoff -NAO look, do you perhaps know/got any past winter storms with a -NAO/-PNAish pattern that occurred

The chips are basically being stacked against us & a cold/snowy pattern from now until at least late December, if we emerge from this period seasonable, I'd consider that a major victory, if we end up seeing a storm somehow out of this, then consider that a major bonus. Like HM/Masiello, I'm definitely starting to think we may crank something out near the tail end of Dec or early January when the MJO enters the West-central Pacific & western hemisphere again. There's something about winter storms in the Carolinas and phase 7 MJO during January...

It's certainly somewhat rare but there are a lot more examples of this than you'd think.

Here are few select storms that I've mapped which featured a significant -NAO/-PNA:

You'll probably recognize a few of these.

March 9-10 1960 Snowmap.png

January 9-11 1968 NC Snow map.png

February 6-7 1979 NC Snowmap.png

January 17-18 2000 NC Snowmap.gif

January 10-11 2011 NC Snowmap.gif

March 20-21 2018 NC Snowmap.png
February 19-20 2019 NC Snowmap.png

Pacific pattern still looks like garbage but at least we've got something to go our way ~ day 8 on the EPS. The eastern US ridge is trending towards a -NAO

View attachment 26230

Backed off from cold, to heat, back to cold. Lol. Models have been insanely volatile for that period, it’s been fun to watch. Hard to see it backing from trending toward a huge -NAO though. The cold runs are here to stay this time.

Yeah it’s the last run of the GEFS and no I don’t take it verbatim, but it sure is nice seeing our friend the -EPO wanting to make a comeback after the first week of Dec. That paired with a -NAO....

00f33231396fa95a7e5d18f66ec4d91d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can take this question a step further and ask have their been any major storms that occurred w/ a +AO/-PNA/+WPO/+EPO?

The answer is... yes.

Makes sense that if one were to occur it would be at the very end of the season when the wavelengths are really short & we still have enough cold air being thrown around.

Many of our teleconnections (esp the PNA) start to break down outside the heart of winter.
March 25-26 1971 NC Snow map.png

Backed off from cold, to heat, back to cold. Lol. Models have been insanely volatile for that period, it’s been fun to watch. Hard to see it backing from trending toward a huge -NAO though. The cold runs are here to stay this time.

Yeah it’s the last run of the GEFS and no I don’t take it verbatim, but it sure is nice seeing our friend the -EPO wanting to make a comeback after the first week of Dec. That paired with a -NAO....

I still think this -NAO might back off at some point in early Dec following this big surge in IO convection, but the continued -NAMT is going to keep reinforcing it.

I think the GEFS overzealous w/ W hem convection in the longer-term which is probably contributing to a jet extension and then subsequent ACWB over AK at day 15. A -EPO is coming down the pipe especially once the subseasonal tropical forcing starts shifting out of the Indian Ocean, but it's probably not as soon as the GEFS suggests.

It's weird to be even talking about a real -NAO in winter, much less if/when it may or may not back off.

I'm not spiking the football yet though. We've seen the -NAO in November and it's modeled still for December, but we ain't there yet. Still 10 days away from December 1 and actual winter. It could still fizzle in flames before then. But I love the fact that the heat and ridge is not yet locked in on the modeling, and may be backing off. That itself is a win in my book.

I think the GEFS overzealous w/ W hem convection in the longer-term which is probably contributing to a jet extension and then subsequent ACWB over AK at day 15. A -EPO is coming down the pipe especially once the subseasonal tropical forcing starts shifting out of the Indian Ocean, but it's probably not as soon as the GEFS suggests.

If this west-based -NAO hangs tough through this tumultuous, unfavorable period, then many of us might get our wish around week 3 ish...

It's weird to be even talking about a real -NAO in winter, much less if/when it may or may not back off.

Definitely makes you wonder how big of a difference it may cause, especially once other favorable things shift our direction in the next several weeks, definitely different vs last winter, past few winters most of our help has mostly been a -EPO so we tend to get lots of miller b transfers with 1030-1040 high pressures sliding in from Canada in response and less of those classic miller A setups, can’t help but be a tad bit optimistic since the NAO favors those more classic setups

Yeah I agree. Definitely don’t buy it at this point, I need the EPS to trend away from the AK ridge before I remotely believe the GEFS’s evolution...I just get giddy sometimes whenever I see a run like that in a winter month.

And then we’ve had the issues of having actual miller A setups, but overly suppressive PV lobes around the GLs/southern Canada, which turns them into oblivion or they just can’t trend NW enough due to suppression, man that Setup was disappointing at the end of last February

I'm not spiking the football yet though. We've seen the -NAO in November and it's modeled still for December, but we ain't there yet. Still 10 days away from December 1 and actual winter. It could still fizzle in flames before then. But I love the fact that the heat and ridge is not yet locked in on the modeling, and may be backing off. That itself is a win in my book.

The -NAO is already here & guidance has been growing only more impressive w/ it closer to verification, I see no reason to believe it won't persist thru at least the end of Nov into the start of Dec.

Big dog -NAO regimes like this one develop in-situ and then usually take several weeks to run their course and once they develop, they're continuously being reinforced by cyclonic wave breakers being shoved underneath the pre-existing block and they can be difficult to get rid of.

download - 2019-11-20T082132.606.png

download - 2019-11-20T082239.959.png

In addition to very quiescent solar activity favoring lower ozone production & a cooler tropical stratosphere (which thus decreases the meridional temperature gradient in the stratosphere, encourages a stronger mean meridional circulation & potentially a more disturbed polar vortex) this year's predisposition towards enhanced tropical convection near & west of the International Dateline in the equatorial Pacific is favorable to -NAO.

Definitely makes you wonder how big of a difference it may cause, especially once other favorable things shift our direction in the next several weeks, definitely different vs last winter, past few winters most of our help has mostly been a -EPO so we tend to get lots of miller b transfers with 1030-1040 high pressures sliding in from Canada in response and less of those classic miller A setups, can’t help but be a tad bit optimistic since the NAO favors those more classic setups

As HM/Masiello said yesterday, this also to me feels like a throwback to the 1960s at the onset of winter except with a warmer base state.

Back