• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Nippy November

And then we’ve had the issues of having actual miller A setups, but overly suppressive PV lobes around the GLs/southern Canada, which turns them into oblivion or they just can’t trend NW enough due to suppression, man that Setup was disappointing at the end of last February

It's been so long since we had a classic miller a storm. THIS IS THE YEAR FOR THE CAROLINAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been so long since we had a classic miller a storm. THIS IS THE YEAR FOR THE CAROLINAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only for the W half. The E half rarely benefits from Miller As that strengthen quickly from what I can tell. I'm all for Miller As of most varieties because that's what gives us here in N GA a lot.

31 years, if memory serves! Let us never forget: Jan 88!☃️☃️☃️☃️☃️?

The only thing I remember about that from a met standpoint is seeing the snowline far south and it never seemed to inch northward. Started off as snow and stayed that way the entire duration. Don't know if the LP moved up the coastline, but large precip shield to the south that expanded northward (overrunning). All I can recall. Great storm.

The only thing I remember about that from a met standpoint is seeing the snowline far south and it never seemed to inch northward. Started off as snow and stayed that way the entire duration. Don't know if the LP moved up the coastline, but large precip shield to the south that expanded northward (overrunning). All I can recall. Great storm.
It was in the teens for the duration in Gastonia NC, but still ended as about 1/4” of ZR crust , on top of 14-16” of powder, as low bombed off the coasts

Only for the W half. The E half rarely benefits from Miller As that strengthen quickly from what I can tell. I'm all for Miller As of most varieties because that's what gives us here in N GA a lot.
About time someone else noticed this, and someone from Georgia no doubt. Yeah, the warm nose usually ruins Miller A storms for SD, Rain Cold, and others that are in my area. Most of the time we end up with a frozen mess of IP and ZR. Of course, go NW about 15 to 20 miles and those folks are saying what warm nose. It's really hard to get a decent snowfall in my area.

Edit: The huge exception for this was the January 2000 Carolina Crusher. Man, I would love to see another one of those!

It's been so long since we had a classic miller a storm. Yes, it seems that way. Is it even still possible?
The only thing about a miller a storm is there tends to be a sharp cutoff from snow to rain. For us in the triangle we would need a low well off the coast. We've been burned many times with these types of storms. A Miller b can be much more forgiving with a strong CAD creating a bigger transition zone. So personally, I would love to see a year with more miller b setups.

About time someone else noticed this, and someone from Georgia no doubt. Yeah, the warm nose usually ruins Miller A storms for SD, Rain Cold, and others that are in my area. Most of the time we end up with a frozen mess of IP and ZR. Of course, go NW about 15 to 20 miles and those folks are saying what warm nose. It's really hard to get a decent snowfall in my area.

Edit: The huge exception for this was the January 2000 Carolina Crusher. Man, I would love to see another one of those!

"Of course, go NW about 15 to 20 miles and those folks are saying what warm nose." That's me on the NW side of Chatham, close to Alamance. We are affected by them, but a simple drive to Alamance/Guilford puts me in pure snow. :)

2020-Winter-Storm-Tracks-600x471.jpg

The only thing about a miller a storm is there tends to be a sharp cutoff from snow to rain. For us in the triangle we would need a low well off the coast. We've been burned many times with these types of storms. A Miller b can be much more forgiving with a strong CAD creating a bigger transition zone. So personally, I would love to see a year with more miller b setups.
We can do very well with Miller As, if we get a favorable track. No reason we can't. Just, we haven't had a lot of them lately, and the ones that we've had have occurred in some generally warm winters. We need an active STJ and along with a generally cold background. We actually may have both this year. I'm tired of an inch of snow, followed by freezing rain, while 5 miles to my northwest gets 6"+. I think this is going to be the year, finally, that is going to feature some bonafide winter weather, more than once or twice, over a large area of the SE.

The pattern that will setup late this month (possibly into early December) won't be favorable for snow storms. A vorticy (upper level high) down in the Gulf will mean warmer temperatures across the east and storm systems will cut. Or, if this upper level high pushes further east as time goes on, an ice storm could set up at somepoint in December when another cold blast pushes south and east.
d6d19f49ccca5308a09145d0f23855c5.jpg

Back