• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Muddy March 2021

- Even so, Greensboro still had 12 of the last 21 Aprils with 32 or lower (vs 14 of 21 at RAH).
- But since 1950, Greensboro has had 52 of 71 Aprils with 32 or lower vs 52 of 71 at RAH.

So, @Lickwx , I learned something new today. RAH airport may be colder than one would expect vs Greensboro considering that Greensboro is in a slightly colder location. Could it be that it is the Great Radiator of NC in @pcbjr Hogtown fashion?
Yes , I do think the airport is a great radiator lol. Greensboro actually has warmer mean minimums than Raleigh outside of winter , and in winter they are very close despite Raleigh being roughly 2 degrees warmer ! The airport is next to a large complex of forest land made up of 6000 acres of state park ,800 acres of county park , and I want to say another 1000 acres , maybe a bit less of airport owned undeveloped land/ quarry. Could make a difference with less UHI than one would expect .

What do you look at for hail on these charts? Also what sized hail could you find in this type of environment shown above .. also does it matter that it’s so late ... or so early depending on how you look at it.. that’s not anywhere near peak heating
Impressive MUcape/180mb MLcape advection, advection of steep mid level lapse rates, and a long straight Hodograph past 3km through 12km, high LCL-EL shear.
worth noting that cape that’s advecting in is driven by steep lapse rates, so while diurnal heating helps, sometimes you can advection those environments in via a strong subtropicalridge or LLJ
Also the “SHIP” or significant hail parameter, between 0-1 is meh
1-1.5 is decent
1.5-2 solid
2+ = good environment for large hail, although that’s only a piece to the puzzle and sometimes there’s reasons why low numbers could be deceiving or high numbers could be deceiving

Reactions: SD
Impressive MUcape/180mb MLcape advection, advection of steep mid level lapse rates, and a long straight Hodograph past 3km through 12km, high LCL-EL shear.
worth noting that cape that’s advecting in is driven by steep lapse rates, so while diurnal heating helps, sometimes you can advection those environments in via a strong subtropicalridge or LLJ
Also the “SHIP” or significant hail parameter, between 0-1 is meh
1-1.5 is decent
1.5-2 solid
2+ = good environment for large hail, although that’s only a piece to the puzzle and sometimes there’s reasons why low numbers could be deceiving or high numbers could be deceiving
The lower pwats help here as well so you aren't loading the updraft. The wbz being around 700mb isn't bad at all. Only concern id watch for here is that warm level around 700 and to see if it gets worse on future runs and tried to cap things out at least reduce the ML LRs

The lower pwats help here as well so you aren't loading the updraft. The wbz being around 700mb isn't bad at all. Only concern id watch for here is that warm level around 700 and to see if it gets worse on future runs and tried to cap things out at least reduce the ML LRs
Seems like there’s 2 rounds, first one has been wobbly,but it looks SB based F5D31F03-4C34-4810-944B-2BD7C7C0BC02.png31AAC3F5-7E11-4FB1-B103-BCFB24315D41.png
Then again in the morning, probably elevated but impressive CAPE already, especially given globals are to low most of the time 1D4A5453-C450-4703-AB6B-89EE76667C13.pngE1FD0129-66FF-439C-994D-05F93835DA7A.png

Makes sense almost wonder if the Sunday morning stuff is a mcv/convectively originated wave
Looks like it, altho it’s messy at H5 on the euro, but it shows energy for both waves 4224E04D-7EE4-4C51-9877-DF8203D57C25.png7F42FEC5-25B6-4716-8857-8100622E470C.png15436B46-FE36-4D48-861B-4185A11320FE.png2848AE96-8109-4E10-BCA8-F4968829D4F3.png
Also interesting trend for sat aft on the euro, really interested in seeing the short range models/CAMs on this, honestly potentially the most solid hail setup since that one that gave RC that hailstorm per models atm39CD0E65-4D8A-49A8-9EAD-75F8DFE55D1D.gif

Looks like it, altho it’s messy at H5 on the euro, but it shows energy for both waves View attachment 80253View attachment 80254View attachment 80252View attachment 80255
Also interesting trend for sat aft on the euro, really interested in seeing the short range models/CAMs on this, honestly potentially the most solid hail setup since that one that gave RC that hailstorm per models atmView attachment 80251
I'm really interested in this setup these wedge fronts usually pop a monster or 2. I. Interested in the storm motion Saturday. Do they ride toward the east and stay along and south of the moisture boundary or do they go into the less moisture air and become elevated?

I'm really interested in this setup these wedge fronts usually pop a monster or 2. I. Interested in the storm motion Saturday. Do they ride toward the east and stay along and south of the moisture boundary or do they go into the less moisture air and become elevated?
Wonder if we get left splits and get elevated left movers due to straight Hodographs, and left movers go over that wedge boundary and feed off MUcape

Wonder if we get left splits and get elevated left movers due to straight Hodographs, and left movers go over that wedge boundary and feed off MUcape
Yeahhh I'm ready to get this within the CAMs range. Right now it's just guesses and looking between the euro and nam there isn't a lot of consistency

Back