• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Miserable March

I have seen clippers several times give upstate 3" of snow. It can easily happen

I’ve seen it happen to just it’s been a while and there rare. But ratios are high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say Carolina are you talking about N.C. only or you talking about sc as well
Well if we’re taking the GFS at face value here, it had a surface temperature In the mid 30’s with a dewpoint in the mid/upper 20’s. 850’s were well below freezing. This tells me with proper rates it would have been snow. Main takeaway: It’s close.

Heavier rates and that was snow through a good portion of the Carolinas. Dew points and surface temps were good. Timing/moisture and this could bring a nice little high ratio snowfall to somebody on this forum
I’ve had the downslope winds warm me up and clear the skies too many times because of proximity to the mountains. I’m in the gap so to speak, it usually jumps over me and then starts snowing again.

Heavier rates and that was snow through a good portion of the Carolinas. Dew points and surface temps were good. Timing/moisture and this could bring a nice little high ratio snowfall to somebody on this forum
The highest ratio snow I personally ever experienced was January 2003. 7.2 inches of snow on only .18 of QPF in East Charlotte. A clipper system where a meso-low developed just south of GSP

The highest ratio snow I personally ever experienced was January 2003. 7.2 inches of snow on only .18 of QPF in East Charlotte. A clipper system where a meso-low developed just south of GSP
Yep, Charlotte reported 8.5 inches of snow with only 0.17 inches of liquid equivalent. (49 to 1 snow ratios). That night was absurd here in the foothills. Even had thunder snow...... Lee-side trough enhancement.

Just in case you weren’t sure yet that this was arguably one of if not the worst winter ever (in terms of the lack of cold + snow)...

At least this winter has given us chances to track over the last several weeks and some cold and a little bit of snow. During the 2011-12 winter, I truly don’t recall a single opportunity outside one storm for VA and northern NC,

Needless to say, I haven’t been thrilled with the warmer trends (toward a -PNA) in the ensembles for early March. Also, after 3 of 5 quite cold early March SE runs of the GFS (18Z Thu, 12Z Fri, 18Z Fri), none have been near as cold since. However, the 12Z CMC is still quite cold. :) ;)

Hopefully this warmer trend will reverse so that Majestic March can live up to its name. I don’t want to have to change it to Miserable March lol.

Back