• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

May be?

The GFS is showing this goofiness again. The fact that it shows 41 in the middle of the afternoon on May 10th near Macon is ridiculous. C617595B-751F-4713-ABEA-02452C467562.png

Also this is quite the temperature anomaly map from the goofus. My goodness.1C7FF996-4258-4D85-B5DB-C8D8CAB7259C.png

Get this crap out of here, I’ll take cool temps but not temps close enough to kill plants, at least this frame it was showing precipitation but this level of cold is meant for N/D/J/F/M and maybe April, not damn May when pools open up in a few weeks C6503F9A-87D1-4139-AF6D-125984C5ECAD.png20E4F29B-55BF-4A76-B322-56BDDDBCDED3.png

Get this crap out of here, I’ll take cool temps but not temps close enough to kill plants, at least this frame it was showing precipitation but this level of cold is meant for N/D/J/F/M and maybe April, not damn May when pools open up in a few weeks View attachment 40764View attachment 40765
We may as well start talking about if we can get snow out of this. Lol.

Seriously though, I do wonder if we could be looking at a bit of a record cold snap for May at this point. Of course it would be unlikely, but it’s not like the Gfs is alone is showing solidly below average temperatures in this time frame. Of course It is by far the most extreme and most definitely overdone. (Like usual)

FWIW even the end of the Euro has some excessively below average temperatures for North Carolina. I’m kinda interested to see how this plays out on the models as we get closer. Most likely this is way overdone is my guess right now.6893DE0E-6C70-40B3-AC34-21FEA68D428D.gif

Maybe just maybe the lockdown is causing pollution to go down and maybe thats helping to cool our climate ?

Or maybe because the virus spreads more easily in cooler wx and it is so powerful, it is controlling the wx and causing it to cool down for its own survival. What can't this virus do? :eek:

Last edited:
I know a lot of folks are ready for hot weather, but it's pretty crazy that the fact that we have actually had a Spring this year has been overlooked some. Here at CAE, we have yet to hit 90 degrees, and comparing that to the last few years, that's pretty impressive. Woke up to 47 here in the Columbia area. I am enjoying this while I can, because you can't hold back the "Armpit of Hell" forever.

But I am ready for those classic pop up Summer thunderstorms.. that's for sure.

I wonder how long this cooler weather pattern ends up lasting. It keeps this up for a few more months, it could be a summer 2009 redux. As rare as it is, it probably will happen again eventually.

Using the wunderground calendar view RDU has had highs below 70 in May this many times each year:
19 0
18 0
17 3
16 7
15 1
14 2
13 8
12 0
11 2
10 4
An average of 2.7 days per year. The EPS has 7 of the next 14 days at RDU below 70, so in other words there is a pretty impressive cold shot coming for May.

I tried to extrapolate out 16 and 13 (small sample size I know) June in both months was decent but they diverged after that with 16 being hot in July and August and 13 being nice.

I know a lot of folks are ready for hot weather, but it's pretty crazy that the fact that we have actually had a Spring this year has been overlooked some. Here at CAE, we have yet to hit 90 degrees, and comparing that to the last few years, that's pretty impressive. Woke up to 47 here in the Columbia area. I am enjoying this while I can, because you can't hold back the "Armpit of Hell" forever.

But I am ready for those classic pop up Summer thunderstorms.. that's for sure.

Yeah, this is the first real deep south Spring I've experienced since moving here in 2017. Balanced amount of sunny and rainy days, no hard freezes, gradual leaf out and temps generally in the upper 60s to low 80s.

Both 2018 and 2019 were extremely cloudy/cold/rainy in March/April, then we suddenly flip the switch to mid-Summer and drought conditions in May (no in-between).

Back