• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Marvelous March

I think Phil and SER have the right idea that despite the pattern looking very nice that we're still going to need pretty strong cold anomalies to penetrate far enough SE to allow it to be cold enough for wintry in much of the SE though obviously less would be needed the further north. Hopefully, there will be colder trends while holding into a moist enough flow at H5. That's always a fine line in the SE and the forces that have been in control mean we have to face the real possibility that it never gets nearly cold enough for anything widespread. We just don't know at this very early stage and have to hope for a true change in that regard. A much bigger likelihood obviously is that wintry is mainly restricted to northern SE states like NC/TN/AR. So, if it doesn't happen, no whining allowed. This is a preemptive attempt to prevent whining. ;)

Last edited:
1) nothing guarantees cold ... including a +PNA
2) "very cold" ... for some but not southern NC, SC, GA and FLA ... and those are anomalies, not "real" temps ...

View attachment 16091

Not fighting ... just making some observations ...

You picked middle of day in early March to make some point I guess about 2m temps. For early March the GEFS is showing a fairly cold airmass, that block is not blocking “warm air” as you indicated. I never said it was going to be highs in the 20’s in Florida.

Whether GEFS is correct...who’s knows.

D8D8E24C-0024-4992-9917-285ECE157380.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna need some of those pink and purple colors in the SE for any chance at snow... considering avg temps will be in the 60s by March.
Only focused on CAD at this point. Trough centered in SE Canada is a big piece to our puzzle here in NC/SC. Every man for himself

Not bad, -epo, split flow, trough in the east.... PNA could be better but not horrible at all

Yes, that ridge can easily get it done with the timing right...that’s all that matters. Can’t have the ridge too tall on this setup or we are looking at a cutter lol

We also don’t need super anomalous cold in the SE to get snow here, what we need is appropriate timing. A night snow would do wonders for MANY SE areas. The EPS is already 10F below normal from RDU to ATL for highs and that’s a Day 10+ mean...it will get colder imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully that ridge will trend stronger at 200hr so I can take the family to Banner Elk next weekend ??

OMG at that phase past 220 on the 00z GFS! Don’t worry it’s rain for us but damnnn. I’m booking my hotel room tomorrow! Mountains get smoked!

Look at these 850 anomalies. Soak it in. This is strictly eye candy only. .005% chance this even comes close to verifying. Very hostile pattern change on the horizon. Could be one of those deals where you don’t know how cold your rain is going to be until it’s inside 100hr
21B97D3B-A912-4475-BABD-F14C042A0F8A.png

Im usually as optomistic as they come. But ive been headfaked enough with these 200 hr model stupid cold, pattern re shuffles this year. Bet the streak, this will prove no different. Id love to be wrong, but outside of a chilly wet spring, the SER owns our corner of the block and the mortgage is paid for.

Folks, March 3 on the 0Z GFS is record breaking cold for much of the US and on a US HDD basis is actually colder averaged out than any day this winter, including when Chi went down to -23 in late Jan! That’s simply incredible!
Folks, March 3 on the 0Z GFS is record breaking cold for much of the US and on a US HDD basis is actually colder averaged out than any day this winter, including when Chi went down to -23 in late Jan! That’s simply incredible!
Is there any chance of it verifying?

The 0Z GFS has Chicago at a record low of -6 on 3/3 and a record low high for the entire March and even back to Feb 24th of a mere +7! The point of pointing this out is to note the incredible level of cold the US is liable to be dealing with in early March. The normal there for March 3 is +33.2 meaning the GFS has them 33 colder than normal! That is also a whopping 23 colder than the coldest normals of mid Jan!

Back