• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern March Thread

23 RDU . Larry won this time at least for Raleigh. Not sure if ATL dropped below 25.

No, ATL’s low was right at 25. Looking at the hourlies, it was down to 26 at 4 AM (EDT), but it dropped only 1 the next 4 hours. Even way down at Macon the low was 22, which is a new record low!

At 25, that was still ATL’s coldest of the season barely beating the 3 26s of January. That makes this the third latest coldest on record there (back to 1879) and the latest when there was no snowcover.

SAV’s low was 28, coldest since Jan 30th and very well forecasted by the GFS. The Euro was a little too warm (near 30). Hunter AAF was also down to 28. The high in the SAV area at forecasted to be only in the middle 50s, ~15 BN, with extremely low dewpoints. Though not as cold, it is still expected to be another well BN one there tonight (middle 30s), which should result in frost.

It got down to freezing all of the way to the coast with St. Simons Island and Ft. Pulaski down to 32! Those were well forecasted by the GFS. The Euro was several degrees too warm at SSI.

Last edited:
No, ATL’s low was right at 25. Looking at the hourlies, it was down to 26 at 4 AM (EDT), but it dropped only 1 the next 4 hours. Even way down at Macon the low was 22, which is a new record low!

At 25, that was still ATL’s coldest of the season barely beating the 3 26s of January. That makes this the third latest coldest on record there (back to 1879) and the latest when there was no snowcover.

SAV’s low was 28, coldest since Jan 30th and very well forecasted by the GFS. The Euro was a little too warm (near 30). The high there is forecasted to be only in the middle 50s, ~15 BN, with extremely low dewpoints. Though not as cold, it is still expected to be another well BN one there tonight (middle 30s), which should result in frost.

It got down to freezing all of the way to the coast with St. Simons Island and Ft. Pulaski down to 32!

KPDK, which is only 9 miles north of KATL, is roughly the same elevation and wind speed, reached 21F this morning.

22.1F IMBY

Last edited:
This GFS run for this morning was impressively accurate for the very cold temperatures considering it was nearly one week out at the time:

View attachment 115586
The gfs had also been showing hints of this past snow storm 2 weeks out If I remember correctly. It lost it then started showing it again last Sunday night and basically never stopped showing 5-6 inch totals. It absolutely destroyed the euro as far as accumulation goes. The gfs was consistently showing 5-6 inches while the euro was showing around 2. The euro finally tried to play catch up as the storm was happening by showing 3.5 inches. I’m not sure why but the last 3 major winter storms here since last season the euro has been showing much less snow while the gfs was correctly showing big totals. The gfs seems much improved over the last two winters.

I experienced this amazing storm in ATL for my only blizzard and thundersnow. This by a wide margin had the lowest Gulf pressure of any storm on record to give ATL a big winter storm. Also, this even gave SAV its latest measurable snow on record. In addition, the cold and high winds associated with it in the SE were amazing as was the severe wx in Florida. A true Storm of the Century!

Last edited:
That wind yesterday was so nasty. Sheesh.

Bottomed at 25 this morning.

Late last evening’s walk had as cold as 38 toward the end, which is about tied for my coldest this winter. But with the steady moderate winds, it was easily my coldest feeling walk of the winter with chills getting well down into the 20s! Looking forward to another cold walk tonight though thanks to light winds will not have nearly as low a wind chill.

With tonight being a good radiational night, the colder Canadian will likely verify the closest vs GFS and Euro.

Last edited:

I experienced this amazing storm in ATL for my only blizzard and thundersnow. This by a wide margin had the lowest Gulf pressure of any storm on record to give ATL a big winter storm. Also, this even gave SAV its latest measurable snow on record. In addition, the cold and high winds associated with it in the SE were amazing as was the severe wx in Florida. A true Storm of the Century!

What’s still amazing to me are the satellite pictures that show the clouds from the storm starting down in Central America going north to the Canadian Maritimes. This storm set the all-time lowest pressure at KCLT… even lower than Hurricane Hugo as the eye moved over. Where I was at in NW Cabarrus County, NC had 6.5” with drifts up to 2 feet…. most of that fell from between noon to 3pm on that Saturday afternoon. What was really impressive was the next day despite a full March sun and clear skies, highs struggled to reach 30.

Back