• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern March Thread

For 3/13 lows, Maxar has just lowered KATL from 25 to 23 (coldest so far this winter 26 three times) and KSAV from upper 20s to 26 (coldest so far this winter 25 on Jan 30th and record for the date 24).

For some perspective, KSAV has had only one day colder than 26 back to 1873 after March 13th and that was the 25 of 3/15/1993, which was 2 days after the big storm. Otherwise, they’ve had several 26s after March 13th (as late as March 27th).

For 3/13 lows, Maxar has just lowered KATL from 25 to 23 (coldest so far this winter 26 three times) and KSAV from upper 20s to 26 (coldest so far this winter 25 on Jan 30th and record for the date 24).

For some perspective, KSAV has had only one day colder than 26 back to 1873 after March 13th and that was the 25 of 3/15/1993, which was 2 days after the big storm. Otherwise, they’ve had several 26s after March 13th (as late as March 27th).
That low of a temperature will cause a great deal of damage to blooms in both locations. It may end or minimize your pollen season as the trees will simply leaf out in a few more weeks with new buds as the male pollen will be decimated by the cold.

oak-tree-flowers-spring-pollen-branch-first-blooms-showing-drooping-breeze-counts-rising-time-89423756.jpg

Last edited:
That low of a temperature will cause a great deal of damage to blooms in both locations. It may end or minimize your pollen season as the trees will simply leaf out in a few more weeks with new buds as the male pollen will be decimated by the cold.

oak-tree-flowers-spring-pollen-branch-first-blooms-showing-drooping-breeze-counts-rising-time-89423756.jpg

Due to the very warm Dec into the first few days of Jan, I've had azalea blooms in various locations of my yard since late Jan due to that false spring! Some are in bloom now but not a big % because so many bloomed much earlier and have since fallen.

I wonder if there are going to be a lot of outages throughout the SE from the high winds just behind the front. I’d think most in the SE bored with wx recently won’t be after this weekend! This is going to be quite a memorable period!

Heavy rainfall, thunderstorms, very high general winds behind front, sudden big drop in temps, near record cold, and on top of all of that, snow, some quite heavy, in some areas!

Last edited:
I wonder if there are going to be a lot of outages throughout the SE from the high winds just behind the front. I’d think most in the SE bored with wx recently won’t be after this weekend! This is going to be quite a memorable period!

Heavy rainfall, thunderstorms, very high general winds behind front, sudden big drop in temps, near record cold, and on top of all of that, snow, some quite heavy, in some areas!
So happy I bought a whole house generator??

I’m still at 29.8. If the winds die down I don’t see how I avoid teens tonight. Thankfully none of my fruit has bloomed yet.

12Z HRRR and 3K were kind of meh on temps tomorrow morning

View attachment 115534View attachment 115536
They must be keeping the wind up or clouds in longer. I’ve been sitting at 43 all morning despite some peaks of sun which with the March sun angle means there is some impressive CAA going on. If it clears out and the wind die down I fully expect at least low 20s

Back