• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

March 18-19th Possible Severe Wx Outbreak

It's muddy for us. A lot of divergence out front and plenty of moisture so we should have a good bit of rain and "junk" convection preceding the main line. I'm not sure how much that will allow us to destabilize and if that will help keep an insitu type airmass in play. Another thing is do we see the initial band and pre frontal trough out run the better forcing so we are left with a weakening band and wind shift and overall not a whole lot. Just a few things I'm wondering about right now. If you overlap and time this correctly it's at minimum a strongly forced QLCS with a few embedded tornadoes.

I feel much more confident in the severe threat to our W/SW. It's looking fairly ominous for MS/Al/Ga/Tn
I’m Thinking the SPC will probably go 30% in those areas tonight to our SW and 15% NC-south, that stuff to our SW looks bad, if there one thing I notice tho is that low level shear isn’t insane with this setup

It's muddy for us. A lot of divergence out front and plenty of moisture so we should have a good bit of rain and "junk" convection preceding the main line. I'm not sure how much that will allow us to destabilize and if that will help keep an insitu type airmass in play. Another thing is do we see the initial band and pre frontal trough out run the better forcing so we are left with a weakening band and wind shift and overall not a whole lot. Just a few things I'm wondering about right now. If you overlap and time this correctly it's at minimum a strongly forced QLCS with a few embedded tornadoes.

I feel much more confident in the severe threat to our W/SW. It's looking fairly ominous for MS/Al/Ga/Tn
I’m needing to catch up on this threat. Thoughts for AR, Memphis, Huntsville?

Winter weather is my thing. But I do track severe weather in order to prepare my family and myself. I’m not particularly a fan of people losing there homes or lives. But any weather that has a impact on people lives is important to track and watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the 18z euro is gonna slow it down some more and back off wedging prior to it

Reactions: SD
I’m needing to catch up on this threat. Thoughts for AR, Memphis, Huntsville?
To me if there's an area that has a better chance to not be a forced line it's over that way but timing may be around daybreak so overall the threat is lower. There's still a good bit of spread on timing and location of the upper low so just about the whole region has to watch it

Sh*t, not good to see the euro weaken the old S/W around SD which is producing the tors in Texas right now, this would have tug it north and displaced forcing/wind energy/instability as it headed east, but looked like euro was just about to take a straight down the middle bowling ball, it was also slightly slower and less atlantic influence for CAD, seems like the euro is holding on to the more aggressive solution, v16 has that hook north then back East type thing 882E4BEC-CD2D-4BDB-9A4C-04E971A53E4B.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: SD
That storm was rough for sure. Seneca had that tornado, the the rest of upstate SC missed out on it, and the the outbreak really got going from the midlands down to the coast. I'm not really sure why more of upstate SC did not have severe weather unless we had a small minimum of cape and instability in the area that morning.

I believe the QLCS with embedded bow segments and supercells that blasted thru SE GA and the Lowcountry may have interrupted some moisture transport up that way ... the same said outbreak was one of the worst on record for Southern SC including the first EF4 ever on record in SC I Charleston CWA.

Thoughts on warm front interaction Wednesday for Carolina? Gfs shows decent CAPE with shear beginning to race. Usually these type situations are enough to prompt a few warnings. Wonder if Wednesday afternoon might be an early “wake up call” for those the Midlands and Upstate SC waiting for overnight QLCS stuff.

Gonna trend to a wedge, never fails, some form of Active weather just doesn’t happen anymore Bc CAD AB9700C1-A1CD-4E04-86B0-9E1F45DF7A38.png

Personally I’ll take the wedge to avoid severe weather. People having there homes destroyed by a tornado. Deaths and injuries isn’t something I’m a fan of

I want to chase this setup
Winter storms cause death and injury, like severe weather. there’s just no avoiding it, we can hope for the best (no injuries/death) but at the same time seek it (chase for ex) and be interested over severe weather

I want to chase this setup
Winter storms cause death and injury, like severe weather. there’s just no avoiding it, we can hope for the best (no injuries/death) but at the same time seek it (chase for ex) and be interested over severe weather

Interested yes I’m interested. However I would love a wedge to avoid it. And about winter storms stay off the rd. Do not drive in it and you want die. At least not with the winter storms we have around here. But yeah I’m interested in severe weather when it happens. Just if we avoid it that’s a good thing.

Interested yes I’m interested. However I would love a wedge to avoid it. And about winter storms stay off the rd. Do not drive in it and you want die. At least not with the winter storms we have around here. But yeah I’m interested in severe weather when it happens. Just if we avoid it that’s a good thing.

I have a co-worker out right now with a broke leg from our storm in Jan. Over 180k people a year go to the emergency room with snow/ice slip injuries. Add heart attack, hypothermia, and car accidents and winter weather kills, injures and has huge human impacts every year. Severe is just more violent and news worthy.

I have a co-worker out right now with a broke leg from our storm in Jan. Over 180k people a year go to the emergency room with snow/ice slip injuries. Add heart attack, hypothermia, and car accidents and winter weather kills, injures and has huge human impacts every year. Severe is just more violent and news worthy.

Of course severe is more violent and newsworthy. My only point is this winter weather you can avoid losing your life in. Don’t drive don’t get out in it If your prone to falling easy. It’s easier to protect yourself in a winter storm then severe weather. But I do have a interest in severe weather. Simply because it’s so dangerous and impactful. I just don’t wish for severe weather like I do winter storms.

Back