• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

March 18-19th Possible Severe Wx Outbreak

Long range 3k and HRRR averaged soundings for AL mod/enh area
View attachment 79103View attachment 79104
NAM has the more ominous wind profile for hail (given long straight mid and upper level Hodograph) and tornadoes given the backed flow towards the surface, but the HRRR is more impressive wrt thermodynamics/low level instability and low level lapse rates (less stability in the low levels like the NAM)

I will be in Wilmington Thursday...a much better spot for severe storms (generally) than Kernersville. Will see what happens.
My local met stopped just short of saying a tornado outbreak will happen.
He said golf ball or ping pong size hail is very possible with numerous storms rotating. We are at a level 4/5 for here.
Very scary stuff.

Reactions: SD
SPC is definitely way more bullish than GSP on warm sector/cellular development
GSP
The GFS is more progressive with the cold front and the severe
weather environment would not be able to fully solidify in that
case as the GFS has a full fropa between 18z Thurs - 00z Fri. This
would likely keep any severe weather east of the I-77 Corridor,
but the NAM and ECMWF suggest a slower progression of the system
and allows for diurnal heating and maximized instability to
become more established ahead of the cold front. In this case,
organized severe weather would likely move across the area and would
produce damaging winds, large hail, and possibly a short-lived
tornado. Due to the time discrepancies still in place with the
latest model trends, uncertainty in the severity of this event
still exists. PWAT values ~1-1.25" and the convective nature of
this event, localized flooding will possibly become an additional
threat, especially in the stronger storms and SW facing slopes in
the mountains.
SPC
Meanwhile, storms are expected to spread across Georgia and into the
Carolinas ahead of the advancing cold front, along with some
pre-frontal cellular development within a zone of strong warm
advection east of the mountains. Given ample instability and a very
favorably sheared environment, relatively widespread and locally
substantial severe weather potential is indicated -- including risk
for a few strong tornadoes.

WSFA12 out of Montgomery seems pretty bullish on pre-frontal development. Their in-house model shows this
FIOSTH5RGFGY7IHS76QIZGGAIA.png

Honestly I’m more concerned about the stuff in the evening/night as the LLJ picks up, HRRR shows supercells out in front of the QLCS close the the best 850mb LLJ and then turns it into a line with supercells in it View attachment 79115View attachment 79116View attachment 79117

Looking at wind fields in the HRRR, it makes me think of the Centerpoint F3 and the Fultondale F3. It may be one of those events that go quiet for an hour due to messy storm mode to a cell becoming semi-discrete and going nuts for a brief period, before back to quiet again.

That look Thursday evening/night looks favorable for hailers if a second round of storms form
Mid level drying, steepening mid level lapse rates near the upper level with low freezing levels/cool 500mb temps sure argues that, can see the strong mid level winds on the Hodograph
14C8D610-D824-4587-8D7F-646EB6B496A2.pngE76D0625-A960-4C3F-8125-29A61D05B41E.pngFDB4B2FF-AAED-4BEF-8C9A-983D30403740.png5451A189-C4B7-417B-BC3D-209A4DAA6BE3.png

Back