• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

March 18-19th Possible Severe Wx Outbreak

Very curious to see how it looks. I feel like the NAM may be doing NAM things
This new version of the HRRR seems to be really good with storms it appears so far this year

Reactions: SD
Last edited:
Man I just can't get past the thought of a completely free warm sector getting filled with more shallow convection and cutting back on overall severe outbreak potential. Maybe I'm just mentality looking for ways to diminish the overall threat

The interesting part is on both similar 500mb analogs, warm sector contamination was an issue to an extent.

With a cool layer of air on the surface, the result is elevated convection. Inflow from storms won't be from the surface but rather, from elevated air above the cold air. The result? Usually elevated storms pose the threat of hail and perhaps damaging winds if the storm is rigorous enough. Usually no tor threat as the storm is elevated, there isn't gonna be a meso close enough to the ground to produce.

On the topic of its effects on SBCAPE, I would say to disregard SBCAPE entirely in a setup where storms are elevated/ an inversion is in place. If a storm isn't drawing air from the surface, then using a CAPE measure that starts at the surface is not going to provide accurate insight on storm potential. MUCAPE is the way to go for elevated convection.
Good to see you on here Justin, I have been suspended on twitter for the longest time and I still don’t know why, (that’s why I’ve been gone). Hope everything is good over that way!

Would be pretty surprised if the SPC doesn’t go moderate in the new Day 2 outlook coming out here in about 90 minutes. Everything I’ve seen today paints an ominous picture for portions of MS/AL and surrounding areas as well. Still lots of details to be ironed out though.

Back