• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

March 18-19th Possible Severe Wx Outbreak

Glenn Burns post from about an hour ago. Anyone know what model he is talking about?
One of the new high resolution models coming in is a bit concerning and certainly bears watching. It shows the
possibility of multicells to supercells.
I think the major time frame we need to be concerned about the most is 2 am to 8 am Thursday morning. I want you to make sure you have a way to get warnings. Always a chance for cell towers to be damaged or go down.

Glenn Burns post from about an hour ago. Anyone know what model he is talking about?
One of the new high resolution models coming in is a bit concerning and certainly bears watching. It shows the
possibility of multicells to supercells.
I think the major time frame we need to be concerned about the most is 2 am to 8 am Thursday morning. I want you to make sure you have a way to get warnings. Always a chance for cell towers to be damaged or go down.
Maybe the HRRR? Did have some cells in GA

Made a little “average of Soundings” (stacked them with the 3km NAM and 12km) notably the 3km has larger low level Hodographs but they overall agree on a uncapped environment supportive of a low tornado threat, and solid hail threat, along with wind, given the dry air aloft/low WBZ, and they overall agree on a large mid level wind feild
Those types of Hodographs are often associated with mini supercells 2B1EA2DE-24FA-4E7F-8F79-6CA3179D6CC6.jpeg18DC943B-30F9-4F3D-BC1E-EA9F4B97E1DF.jpeg

Not gonna lie, last nights WRFs and this mornings 3km NAM are giving me pause. WRFs keep the wind fields disjointed from the best instability in the day and then veers unidirectional aloft with the QLCS. The NAM is much better wind field wise, but still is very messy with convection, but we toss because it is 99% stupid.

Will be interesting to see what they do in later runs.
Sounds like what you are saying is, this severe threat could not be as bead as currently expected due to these factors... correct?

Reactions: SD
Made a little “average of Soundings” (stacked them with the 3km NAM and 12km) notably the 3km has larger low level Hodographs but they overall agree on a uncapped environment supportive of a low tornado threat, and solid hail threat, along with wind, given the dry air aloft/low WBZ, and they overall agree on a large mid level wind feild
Those types of Hodographs are often associated with mini supercells View attachment 79133View attachment 79134

This is awesome! Thank you for making. SPC seemed bullish on the possibility of stronger tornadoes- so my question is... what models are they using use wording like that. Also, what would cause the tornado threat to be higher than what is currently being depicted on the NAM? Seems like this system is really slowing down though, even Brad P's VBLOG alluded to some strong tornadoes and how this system could still slow down. Again, thanks for all your insight. You and @Webberweather53 are great!

This is awesome! Thank you for making. SPC seemed bullish on the possibility of stronger tornadoes- so my question is... what models are they using use wording like that. Also, what would cause the tornado threat to be higher than what is currently being depicted on the NAM? Seems like this system is really slowing down though, even Brad P's VBLOG alluded to some strong tornadoes and how this system could still slow down. Again, thanks for all your insight. You and @Webberweather53 are great!
The 3km NAM looked more bullish parameter wise tbh but I think honestly a weaker first line that moves out quicker would allow the secondary stuff to be more rough, if the first line is stronger then the left over clouds/high clouds would spoil instability, but looking at overall parameters the first line doesn’t look that scary in our areas but maybe for places further East

The 3km NAM looked more bullish parameter wise tbh but I think honestly a weaker first line that moves out quicker would allow the secondary stuff to be more rough, if the first line is stronger then the left over clouds/high clouds would spoil instability, but looking at overall parameters the first line doesn’t look that scary in our areas but maybe for places further East

It'll be interesting to see what the upcoming model runs show going forward. Things will obviously change but the question is to what degree. I will say- it has been a while since CLT was in a hatched area 3 days out. Things could be worse just to our east, but it won't take much slowing down to pretty much put the metro in ground zero.

Can’t get it to load but the MDT appears to be greatly expanded to the SW of original area

12z WRFs are definitely more bullish with a round of supercells popping across central AL late tomorrow afternoon. Wind fields for discrete convection are really good, but low level shear is on the low side at that point. Probably gonna be some large hail with that round. Definitely have to watch and see if the low level shear increases sooner than expected.

Back