• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Milton

The tornado outbreak might be the big story with this when it's all over.
That may absolutely end up being accurate. I’m not knowledgeable enough speak on it, but I’m wondering if the expansion of the wind field from Milton is fueling the updrafts inland….essentially energy transfer away from Milton and into its outer bands. Anyone?

That may absolutely end up being accurate. I’m not knowledgeable enough speak on it, but I’m wondering if the expansion of the wind field from Milton is fueling the updrafts inland….essentially energy transfer away from Milton and into its outer bands. Anyone?
I think the W to NW shear is increasing the rotation in these supercells

The earlier the landfall, the better it may be for highest water levels? I wonder about that because the tide would be a little lower. We just passed a low tide.
I was thinking of this too. There is only something on the order of 2' of range in that part of the world if memory serves. And, the onshore flow for the Tampa area will come later in the evening as the astronomical tide is coming in. Another fly in the ointment is if this faster forward speed holds, the storm will beat the worst of the westerly shear approaching the storm as we speak and along with coastal convergence, the opportunity for further weakening before landfall or perhaps even some unexpected modest strengthening can not be rules out.

In short, I tend to think whatever advantage of having landfall before high tide is negated by a stronger storm.

Pretty much confirms my thinking, along with radar from KTBW. Not really much of an “eyewall” per say because the winds have really spread out.

View attachment 153066

View attachment 153067
Yep, looks as though it's going "baroclinic" with it starting to tilt back towards cooler air. Starting to take on that Nor'Easter look.

Back