• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Milton

It looks like on the last few frames of the satellite that the storm has lost all southerly component to its forward motion and might be starting to go just barely north of due east. Also I’m curious what the wave heights are right now near the northwest Yucatán coast… that’s an area that typically is already fairly rough

It looks like on the last few frames of the satellite that the storm has lost all southerly component to its forward motion and might be starting to go just barely north of due east. Also I’m curious what the wave heights are right now near the northwest Yucatán coast… that’s an area that typically is already fairly rough
This motion about kills any chance of significant land interaction. And, it looks like the forward motion is picking up the pace too.

This motion about kills any chance of significant land interaction. And, it looks like the forward motion is picking up the pace too.
You’re right. With the small core and small eye, it was going to have to get extremely close if not make a landfall to have any real effect on the storm.

Can’t a mega strong storm like this, actually “ bounce” of of land like the Yucatán?? Maybe its strength saved its small demise?? I think this is a thing??

Theoretical max potential energy. Someone somewhere on Twitter has a map showing GOM supporting 900mb intensity but nothing less than that. But with the way pressure continues to drop like a rock we’ll see if that’s true
Just saw Webb mentioned on Twitter that MPI may not fully account for the conveniently placed jet streak tomorrow which may allow Milton to strengthen past the calculated values in the GOM

yeah- radar, satellite, recon data all confirm this. turn happened quicker than expected from NHC forecast
1728328617645.png
be wary using the eye on this graphic as the true center due to parallax, but you get the idea.

will need a few more hours of movement to determine whether this is just an illusion from a troichoidal wobble or a systematic deviation from NHC/model consensus stemming from a more intense storm than guidance prognosticated. something to keep an eye on!

Can’t a mega strong storm like this, actually “ bounce” of of land like the Yucatán?? Maybe its strength saved its small demise?? I think this is a thing??
Storms usually seem to attempt to avoid landfall in the absence of defined steering. That said, I've seen more than a few hurricanes get pulled into the coast when a landmass is to the south. I was sort of hoping this may occur with Milton but the recent motion and small core makes this extremely unlikely.

I’m not sure if it is or not. I’ve notice a few times storms that are riding close to the southern coast of Cuba tend to bounce around little and take some weird jogs. Of course that a much different land than the Yucatan. Cuba has some tall mountains and the Yucatán is flat

yeah- radar, satellite, recon data all confirm this. turn happened quicker than expected from NHC forecast
View attachment 152808
be wary using the eye on this graphic as the true center due to parallax, but you get the idea.

will need a few more hours of movement to determine whether this is just an illusion from a troichoidal wobble or a systematic deviation from NHC/model consensus stemming from a more intense storm than guidance prognosticated. something to keep an eye on!
Obviously we’re used to seeing stronger storms moving west tend to move more along the northern side of the track. Would that still be the case with a storm moving east?

Back