• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Milton

Obviously we’re used to seeing stronger storms moving west tend to move more along the northern side of the track. Would that still be the case with a storm moving east?
I think so but I'll mention a lot of my internal climatology maxims like the above are scrambled. Steering currents in the upper levels definitely favor more northward movement though, may be that

1728331471017.png

this storm is also likely flooding the upper atmosphere with hot air via latent heat release in condensation- there's a ridge to the east of the storm at the 200 mb level that may be getting stronger than forecast and exerting more northerly influence. i would be interested in seeing if this is a systematic change or just a blip and i'm just yapping about nothing. it would make sense though, i generally think models will be playing catch up until the 00z suite tonight

You should. Most likely it will hit as a cat3.
Storm surge kills. Unless he has multiple escape routes or plans to stay well away from surge zones, no.

Edit: *IF* this thing heads towards the bay, people are not ready for the surge. Top that with debris from the last event that has been dropped off around the state.. this is not one to play with, even at Cat. 1

Back