• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

It's going to come down to speed of Michael .Faster, more influence of the ridge and slower it's going to push NE quicker because of incoming trof .today's model runs will be telling for sure

Also need to watch how far south the trough digs out west. The deeper it is the more northerly and less easterly flow aloft it will exert.

Honestly the 00z UK from last night has done a good job and looks very reasonable to me.
ukmet_michael.png

I think the ICON is probably too far south. Maybe I'm just wishing as after it landfalls it pours more heavy rain on Eastern NC. :mad:

I think we probably end up with a middle ground solution again, like last time where there was a lot of differences.

I’m in the Port St. Joe/Cape San Blas area this week on vacation. Good chance I’ll be cutting vacation short this year.

12z GFS made landfall a little slower and east of the 6z, and it looks like the inland track will be south of 6z. Looks like it's going to be through central GA or just north of it.

GFS is significantly slower and south by hour 72. Landfall area shifted east a touch and slower. Again I think the UK idea is probably pretty close to what we see transpire here as it fits the overall synoptic setup better IMO.

Crazy the spread in the models considering how close this is to the event.
Same thing happened with Florence. I feel like the models get more and more inconsistent from each other every year when it comes to major events like a hurricane or winter storm.

Same thing happened with Florence. I feel like the models get more and more inconsistent from each other every year when it comes to major events like a hurricane or winter storm.
The spread will not be that great after the 12z runs imo.... especially if the 6z EPS was any indication then the Euro will shift slightly west inline with where the Ukie is and the GFS just adjusted to.

The TVCN is a great tool to use.. it has had the landfall close to where the current NHC track is despite the various disagreement from the models. Usually the consensus average is a good approach and that appears to be the case here too. The TVCN was also pretty good with Florence as well except for the stall/sw movement that it didn't show until more models showed that happening.

Of note the UK was pretty bad with Florence but has done fairly well with Michael so far.

Back