• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 2)

I would call that a cat 4 130mph. Backs up the other report from before. BTW, euro looks strong and maybe stronger than last run along the west coast of FL hr 24

...IRMA NOW A CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE AS IT GETS CLOSER TO THE LOWER
FLORIDA KEYS...

SUMMARY OF 200 AM EDT...0600 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...23.7N 81.3W
ABOUT 40 MI...65 KM N OF VARADERO CUBA
ABOUT 70 MI...115 KM SSE OF KEY WEST FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...210 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 310 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...931 MB...27.49 INCHES

034247_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

0z Euro barely makes landfall around Tampa otherwise goes to the Big Bend area on Monday

21584204_1519848718098446_826575027_o.png

Keeping the eye off the coast is not good for the folks in the bend and points north in GA or AL depending on the westward moves it makes

0z Euro barely makes landfall around Tampa otherwise goes to the Big Bend area on Monday

21584204_1519848718098446_826575027_o.png
You know whats funny/scary....the 00z euro is a LONGER duration event for winds for everyone across the SE *especially GA*. I looked at the 12z euro run and was comparing the 2 runs, and we *all of us, especially GA* are going to see wind gusts *according to the euro* over a longer period of time, and still showing about the same speeds, maybe a few mph less this run, but more spread out and longer duration even thought the track was a little further west inland this run.

Interesting model runs at 0Z for FL:

GFS: close to its prior runs but on the east side of the mean
CMC: a little west of its 12Z run and fair amount west of the GFS
UKMET: a rather significant shift east of its 12Z run and east of all the other major models
Euro: vs its 12Z run it is a tiny bit west in SW FL but shifts to tiny bit east in NW FL

I am now seeing 157mph on radarscope at around 4.4k feet from the radar site NE eye-wall. 119mph SW eye-wall at same altitude.

Interesting model runs at 0Z for FL:

GFS: close to its prior runs but on the east side of the mean
CMC: a little west of its 12Z run and fair amount west of the GFS
UKMET: a rather significant shift east of its 12Z run and east of all the other major models
Euro: vs its 12Z run it is a tiny bit west in SW FL but shifts to tiny bit east in NW FL
Larry see my post above about the euro and the wind gusts its showing for us in GA. Even longer duration this run.

Looks like the NHC track and 00z Euro line up very well and both took the typical slight west shift. I'd like to see the new 00z Euro wind gusts for N. AL, I bet they came up some. When you start getting in or near the 30% NHC Wind speed probabilities, you can have a reasonable idea of what you might could expect and TS force moved more inland also at the 11 EDT update.

Ukmet, which did the best job with Irma track so far, is shifting east for the long term track. Puts southern SC back in more action.

Larry see my post above about the euro and the wind gusts its showing for us in GA. Even longer duration this run.
yeah, its really about to same in terms of winds.. looks to hit metro Atlanta stronger.. but thats just taking things to verbatim. The main thing to take away from this is that the Euro is still on the same notion of severe winds for north and central georgia.ecmwf_uv10g_mph_georgia_10.png

I saw that, Chris. Interesting. it is setting up to be a real inland doozy for much of GA per the Euro.

What do you make of the 0Z UKMET shifting well inland? I mean it gets Irma a whopping 40 miles inland/40 miles east of the 0Z Euro and only 20 miles west of the western tip of Lake Okeechobee! This puts SE FL big cities in much worse shape than the other models show for them. Then it moves NNW like the other models but due to its further east starting point, it passes only 30 miles west of Orlando and then near Gainesville! I'm asking because the UKMET has been just about as good as the Euro and really is a good model.for the tropics. What the?

yeah, its really about to same in terms of winds.. looks to hit metro Atlanta stronger.. but thats just taking things to verbatim. The main thing to take away from this is that the Euro is still on the same notion of severe winds for north and central georgia.View attachment 1177
Wow, the 50mph+ gusts did expand in N. AL, it was not that strong in past runs here. Starting to get into tropical storm conditions up here taken at verbatim.

I saw that, Chris. Interesting. it is setting up to be a real inland doozy for much of GA per the Euro.

What do you make of the 0Z UKMET shifting well inland? I mean it gets Irma a whopping 40 miles inland/40 miles east of the 0Z Euro and only 20 miles west of the western tip of Lake Okeechobee! This puts SE FL big cities in much worse shape than the other models show for them. Then it moves NNW like the other models but due to its further east starting point, it passes only 30 miles west of Orlando and then near Gainesville! I'm asking because the UKMET has been just about as good as the Euro and really is a good model.for the tropics. What the?
I honestly don't know. I would semi toss it only because the GFS and EURO are not super far apart. I would say its possible depending on when this sustains a true north motion. I think it was around 18+ hours of gusts to near 50mph+ here and like 12 hours of 75-85mph with some higher gusts than that for 12 hours. *or close to it*

amazing to see model differences at this range but the angle of the coast makes trying to pin down a landfall very hard

Back