• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this look holds true though, it will be hard for a storm to come close to the EC. As always, still worth the watch, every TC is.
ac2531211a9cadc850200bfe8a007bc4.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

NHC continues to raise the odds of development for 93L... Now up to 80% in the next 5 days....

1. A tropical wave and associated low pressure area located a few
hundred miles southeast of the Cabo Verde Islands is producing
disorganized showers and thunderstorms. Environmental conditions
are conducive for development, and a tropical depression could form
in two or three days over the eastern Atlantic. The low is forecast
to move westward at 15 to 20 mph over the tropical Atlantic during
the next several days. Regardless of development, heavy rain is
possible in portions of the Cabo Verde Islands through Wednesday.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...40 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.

HWRF and HMON really liking fast formation.

Yeah, I think they're developing this unrealistically too fast, it may be best for us to wait until an actual center forms before we place much credence into the higher resolution hurricane models like the HWRF & HMON... It's a large, broad AEW that will take at least 2-3 days to consolidate into a tropical depression/minimal TS, however conditions appear at least marginally conducive for some gradual development in the eastern Atlantic before they become even more favorable as it nears the longitude of the Antilles.

Yeah that is one deep trough and it should protect the EC but dang.....
ecmwf_z500aNorm_watl_11.png
All 3 of those features are strong per that frame. We have a powerful fall trough with a strong high and a strong hurricane there. It is a bit far out, but I feel confident in that trough existing at a relative time to that. What I lack confidence in is of course the storm. It could be sent further south, into the Caribbean and result in the trough missing it and it going elsewhere, or it could get picked up elsewhere dependent on the high size. Too far out but interesting to look at.

yeah we're talking pure fantasy land for any kind of US threat

and odds still favor OTS especially if it gains significant latitude in the coming days(especially if it organizes quickly)

Euro ensembles still raises eyebrows, at the very least probably a recurve west of Bermuda like Gert

21191283_1509364792480172_2036414999_o.png

Euro getting this thing pretty far west....should turn ots in time but still

I agree. Even if the 12Z Euro verified closely and it got that far west, it would very likely later recurve between 70 and 75 W as per what the 12Z EPS shows as the E US trough doesn't appear to be going away quickly. The WAR wouldn't be able to dislodge the trough per the EPS mean, with which I agree. Instead, its westward move comes to a halt just after day 10.

This is from an analysis I did awhile back:

2) 1960-2002 (with wx satellites):

a) I counted 21 CONUS hits from 125 storms that first became at least a TD east of 50W and south of 20N, which means the hit % for these was 17% or about one in six.

b) Of these 125 storms, 85 first became at least a TD east of 40W. Out of those 85, I counted 14 that hit the U.S., making the hit % for those which first formed east of 40W near 16% or just under one in six (i.e., not much different).

From another study I did awhile back:
The % U.S. hit rate for each month of formation of TCs East of 50W and S of 20N was as follows: 0% for each of June, Oct., and Nov.; 25% for July, 26% for Aug., and 17% for Sept. So, a C.V. STORM THAT FORMS DURING AUG. HAS A PRETTY SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER CHANCE TO HIT THE U.S. ( ABOUT 1 IN 4) THAN ONE THAT FORMS DURING SEPT. (ONLY ABOUT 1 IN 6). July is also relatively high like Aug.

93L is progged to become a TD either in very late Aug or very early Sep. So, I'd call its chances of hitting the CONUS about 1 in 5 (splitting the difference) if ignoring models. Being in cold neutral to possible weak Nina probably doesn't sway the chances too much. Had it been mod to strong Nina, the chances would be raised while lowered for Nino.

Since the models are pretty strongly favoring a recurve E of the CONUS, I think the odds are probably a bit lower than 1 in 5....say something like 1 in 7 as of now. That's my take anyway.

^Nice wall of protection progged from the E US trough should it even get that far west as the wall isn't then going anywhere. So, I think keeping it at only near a 1 in 7 chance for a US hit is pretty reasonable with the odds to be adjusted up or down as we move ahead.

A Floyd scenario would be quite nice, thank you ... :cool:

Nooooooooooo, that was an absolute nightmare due to the scare leading to massive evacuations in FL/GA/SC/NC. Please no, not another Floyd! Plus NC got very bad flooding from rain.

Nooooooooooo, that was an absolute nightmare due to the scare leading to massive evacuations in FL/GA/SC/NC. Please no, not another Floyd! Plus NC got very bad flooding from rain.
I said further east ... :cool: - just want to keep everything away from our back yard, Larry (power of positive thinking ... o_O), and very eastern NC got flooded, so something more east that gives NC some non-flooding rain may not be a bad thing ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back