• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Winds will still be huge issue for Fl, inland Ga and upstate SC, even mountains of NC due to forward speed and energy from the interaction from the ULL. Whether its hits as a 4, 3 or 2 I believe those factors don't really change the possible impacts well inland
Yes, I think people get caught up in if it will get to cat 3 or bigger when it can be just as bad even if it isn't a cat 3 or more.

I don’t have a map but I can give you some ground reports from around here. McDowell county 7-11 inches of rain so far with multiple swift water rescues done overnight. All before the main event.
Thanks, im very concerned for the apps region. Told the disaster releif guys with church, that we will be called up there afterwards no doubt. They are gonna get hit about as hard as they ever have from a tropical entity/Flash Flood event. Stay safe and keep us updated.

Good morning folks. There are many of you posting banter that’s cluttering up thread. Also, we are going to have a lot of new traffic here today, so let’s keep most of the funny and sarcastic posts out of this thread. We don’t want anyone to get the wrong idea.
Thanks and be safe!
And we will be deleting post without explanation, also if I may add, if you get numerous post deleted maybe you need to start thinking about why and think before you post.

And I'm expecting that track to keep on shifting East through the day.

Kind of funny
So do I. I'm feeling much better about escaping Helene's worst here 40 miles east of Atlanta; at worst, the center passes directly over but the strongest winds will be east of the rapidly north-moving center. Not to mention, a high-end CAT 4 at landfall looks less likely by the hour.

The dreaded trifecta of a worst-case scenario of maximum effect on the large inland population centers of Tallahassee, Macon, and Atlanta is greatly reduced IMO. Augusta, Athens, NE Georgia, and the SC mountains look to be ground zero inland.

Have read through all the pages and appreciate the analysis guys and gals. I remember Hugo well and the destruction it left. But can't remember the extent of the storm surge other than how bad the coast looked after it was over. This projected surge of 10+ feet will be a big disaster for the bend.
I don't ever remember a moisture fetch this extensive from a storm this far away ever tho. As many have mentioned the ridiculous amounts of rain we've already received it won't take alot of wind to cause major outages and damage. 40mph sustained winds seems like a guarantee in the path inland with probable higher speeds for most. Hate it for my lineman friends that will have a very rough next couple of days! And really feel for the folks down in the bend area who are gonna lose everything!
Stay safe

06z HWRF is practically unchanged from 00z
Landfall 935
Sth GA. 947
Middle. 955
North. 964

View attachment 151937
There are no doubt many weather-uninformed lurkers on weather sites at times such as this. Posting a 700Mb or even an 850Mb wind map without explanation isn't a good idea.

So do I. I'm feeling much better about escaping Helene's worst here 40 miles east of Atlanta; at worst, the center passes directly over but the strongest winds will be east of the rapidly north-moving center. Not to mention, a high-end CAT 4 at landfall looks less likely by the hour.

The dreaded trifecta of a worst-case scenario of maximum effect on the large inland population centers of Tallahassee, Macon, and Atlanta is greatly reduced IMO. Augusta, Athens, NE Georgia, and the SC mountains look to be ground zero inland.

Here is the comparison of tropical tidbits.... looks like it moved back on 06zView attachment 151939View attachment 151940View attachment 151941
This is a very anemic looking cane at present, it looks to me, that it is moving straight North, just my opinion. It is still at 86.2 ish longitude which is well west of GA. If I were in the western FL panhandle I would be more concerned.

1727350919155.png

746 AM EDT THU SEP 26 2024

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN COLUMBIA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHEASTERN COLUMBIA COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL GEORGIA...
EASTERN LINCOLN COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL GEORGIA...
WESTERN EDGEFIELD COUNTY IN CENTRAL SOUTH CAROLINA...
EASTERN MCCORMICK COUNTY IN CENTRAL SOUTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 830 AM EDT.

Back